#1 05-05-2012 04:01:35

mustangsaguaro
Silver Member
Website

Hygro question and brooding chicks ?

I posted these 2 question on another site and have yet to get an answer from there. Anyone have any input?

Hygro Question
I got a new digital hygrometer/thermometer the other day. It is digital and yesterday I calibrated it using the salt and water method. I didn't check it for almost 24hrs. At almost 24hrs it was reading 78%. Do I need to recalibrate it again and check it at the 8hr mark. Or can I go w/ the 78% reading and know that it is 3% high. Someone please let me know.

Brooder question

I have a total of 20 chicks in my brooder. They are a 10-11 days old now. I have orps, silkies and a few Ameraucana's.  I had to split the brooder in half because I had someone not sure who picking on my silkies (getting bloody feet). So the orps and the larger Am's are together on one side and the silkies and smaller Am's are on the other. Well, the orps are jumping/hopping over the barrier.

I have a small coop currently where I have a momma and some 6 week old chicks. I was thinking of putting the orps w/ a heat lamp in this coop. I can easily separate the momma and 6 week olds from these littler ones. The coop is very well insulated. Momma and the babies go out during the day in the pen I have made for them. There are 2 separate doors to open from the outside. I'm wondering if I put a heat lamp in where I'm planning to put the 10 day olds if I need to keep them inside or if I can allow them to go in and out of the coop at there own will too. I have some small gates where I can separate the outside pen from momma and her babies.

What are others thoughts? Good/bad idea to let the 10day olds to go in and out as long as they are separated. They will have access to their heat lamp if they need to go back to it.  I live in Ca. and where I am at the next few days it's suppose to get up into the low/mid 80's.

Thanks

Breeder of Lavender/Lavender split Ameraucana's, as well as Silkies in black, white or paint. Black and white silkies come from paint eggs so not pure black or white. Bantam Phoenix in golden or silver duckwing.

#2 05-06-2012 10:54:55

BantyChickMom
Mod Squad

Re: Hygro question and brooding chicks ?

How do you know the hygrometer is 3% off?

If you're comfortable with the reading, go with it, but if you're not sure, recalibrate.

As for moving the chicks out, they should be fine.  As long as you can maintain warm enough temps for them, they shouldn't have any problems.  But if you let them out,  they might not be able to find their way back on their own.  You might have to help them.

#3 05-06-2012 02:48:44

mustangsaguaro
Silver Member
Website

BantyChickMom wrote:

How do you know the hygrometer is 3% off?

If you're comfortable with the reading, go with it, but if you're not sure, recalibrate.

As for moving the chicks out, they should be fine.  As long as you can maintain warm enough temps for them, they shouldn't have any problems.  But if you let them out,  they might not be able to find their way back on their own.  You might have to help them.

I calibrated the hygro using the 1/4c salt and 1/2c water in a bowl then sealed it in a baggie. With this method it should read 75% after calibration.

I did move the chicks and they are doing fine. I have the door open for them to go in and out but they are choosing to stay in for now. It may take a couple days before they feel comfortable going out.

Kim

Breeder of Lavender/Lavender split Ameraucana's, as well as Silkies in black, white or paint. Black and white silkies come from paint eggs so not pure black or white. Bantam Phoenix in golden or silver duckwing.

#4 05-13-2012 08:42:08

mustangsaguaro
Silver Member
Website

So, I recalibrated the new digital hygro I got again as I got a 2nd one for my 2nd incubator. This time I checked after 8hrs and this time one of them said 63% and the other one said 66%. Has anyone ever seen that much of a difference after calibrating them. The 2nd time I recalibrated the first one the first time it said 78% after 24hrs and then this time it was the one that said 66%. I'm not sure if I should believe these numbers or not.

BTW I didn't use regular table sale. I used a mineral type salt. Will any type of salt do or do you have to use say table salt or sea salt? Does that make a difference?

Thanks

#5 05-13-2012 02:14:12

Hencackle
Mod Squad

Regarding the salt issue...assume it's regular table salt because the instructions didn't indicate whether mineral, Celtic, or sea salt was used. 

I haven't calibrated a hygrometer because I was using a Lyon Spirit Hygrometer which has a wet bulb & a dry bulb.  It's very accurate, although it's a pain to read.

I've got a FOWL mouth!
cool Song  = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WVNN_DJe0

Spread the Love...Gentle Art of Blessing = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obH3wByg … re=related

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent