#1 03-22-2008 10:42:42

baldmonkey
Banned
Website

coughing, sneezing, watery eyes?

It seems that a couple of our older chickens have the above symptoms. If chickens can get colds this is what I would say they have. They eat good and drink good. Any ideas? Pen is kept clean and change litter often. Its not damp and has light. They get to free range alot.......

If at first you dont succeed, stop, sit down, and drink a beer!
http://www.dragonwynddesigns.com/
Father to many spoiled rotten chickens and 3 spoiled rotten dogs!!

#2 03-22-2008 10:50:16

franklevey
Silver Member

Re: coughing, sneezing, watery eyes?

My barred rock got a cold once.  I just rubbed VetRx on her comb, wattles, beak and under her wings.  I also put a few drops on the top of her water so she would drink it.  She was better in a week.

#3 03-22-2008 10:53:15

baldmonkey
Banned
Website

One of our buffs looks like she has sleep in her eyes? Whats up with that?

#4 03-22-2008 10:56:13

BrahmaMama
Silver Member

Can chickens have allergies?  Like seasonal ones, with the pollen and stuff?

#5 03-22-2008 10:58:57

franklevey
Silver Member

I'll look into the eye thing.

Now, this is not to alarm you at all but it's worth mentioning.  I know my barred rock had a cold because she was the only one that got sick.

Here's some info on Infectious Bronchitis.

Infectious bronchitis is an extremely contagious respiratory disease of chickens characterized by coughing, sneezing and rales (rattling). It is caused by a virus that affects chickens only. Other fowl or laboratory animals cannot be infected with this virus. Several distinct strains of the virus exist.
Infectious bronchitis is considered the most contagious of poultry diseases. When it occurs, all susceptible birds on the premises become infected, regardless of sanitary or quarantine precautions. The disease can spread through the air and can "jump" considerable distances during an active outbreak. It can also be spread by mechanical means such as on clothing, poultry crates and equipment. The disease is not egg transmitted and the virus will survive for probably no more than one week in the house when poultry are not present. It is easily destroyed by heat and ordinary disinfectants.

The infection is confined to the respiratory system. Symptoms are difficult breathing, gasping, sneezing and rales. Some birds may have a slight watery nasal discharge. The disease never causes nervous symptoms. It prevails for ten to fourteen days in a flock and symptoms lasting longer than this are from some other cause.

In chickens under three weeks of age, mortality may be as high as thirty or forty percent. The disease does not cause a significant mortality in birds over five weeks of age. Feed consumption decreases sharply and growth is retarded.

When infectious bronchitis occurs in a laying flock, production usually drops to near zero with a few days. Four weeks or more may be required before the flock returns to production. Some flocks never regain an economical rate of lay. During an outbreak, small, soft-shelled, irregular-shaped eggs are produced.

Infectious bronchitis is difficult to differentiate from many of the other respiratory diseases. For this reason, a definite diagnosis usually requires a laboratory analysis.

Infectious bronchitis is highly contagious and does not always respect sanitary barriers. Vaccinate chickens being retained as layers. Whether broilers should be vaccinated depends upon many factors and is an individual decision. Numerous vaccines are available commercially. Most of them represent a modified or selected strain of the infectious bronchitis virus. The vaccine used should contain virus known to be present in the area. All vaccines contain live virus and those that give the best protection are also capable of producing symptoms and reducing egg production. The vaccine virus will spread to other susceptible birds. Vaccine is usually added to the drinking water, but may be dropped into the eye or nostril or used as a spray.

There is no treatment for this disease. In young chickens it is helpful to increase the brooder temperature and provide as nearly ideal environmental conditions as possible.

That can be found at http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/dissymp.htm

I thought it was worth mentioning since you have more than one bird that seems sick.  Have you been getting any odd eggs, as the article mentioned?

#6 03-22-2008 11:11:34

baldmonkey
Banned
Website

We havent gotten any eggs yet. They are just coming into that age now.I will keep a check on them and see how it goes. Might go ahead and try the Vet/rx.

#7 03-23-2008 02:24:11

Queen of the Lilliputians
Gone fishing
Website

I do believe chickens can get colds.  I know that I've had a bit of sneezing and coughing in my girls back in the fall after introducing (and not properly quarrantining yikes ) a new girl.  I just kept an eye on it, and made sure no one was REALLY getting ill.  They got over it in a week or two, and are back to their normal selves.

That original girl, though, still sneezes a lot, and tends to hold one eye closed.  No other symptoms, though, and her drippy nose/coughing is gone.  I did give her Tetracycline at the time, and that seemed to help, but never really cleared it up.  One of the girls she's with now never got it because she was still in the brooder at the time, but hasn't gotten it since, either, and they've been together for 3 months now so shrug
I still can't say for sure that Jane (the one I introduced) has anything contagious.. or not.  She's healthy, otherwise, and eats/drinks fine.  Don't really know what's up with her.

I do wonder about allergies/etc.  Let us know what you find out Jess!

Former ruler-wielding nun at a catholic school

#8 03-23-2008 09:03:02

broom_hilda
Banned

Can anybody recommend a good book on chicken wellness, sickness, disease, etc.?  I don't mind searching the Net, but I much prefer a good book to have on hand.

We have "Living with Chickens," and it is a great book.  But it pretty much the bare basics and doesn't go into much detail about some things that we want/need to learn more about.

Thanks for the responses and will definitely be looking forward to what Barg finds out about the eyes.

#9 03-23-2008 09:03:50

lacyloo
Platinum Member

broom, I have that book too but i want another one with more info  greeting

One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, black fish, blue fish, old fish, new fish say what a lot of fish there are.

#10 03-23-2008 09:10:52

paganpets
Silver Member

Found this while searching, this might be a good place to start greeting

EXTERNAL SYMPTOMS FOR DIAGNOSING POULTRY DISEASES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BODY Symptom  Possible Cause
Emaciation...  Off-feed; nutritional deficiencies; lymphoid leukosis; enteritis; gizzard impaction; tuberculosis; unknown 
Stunted, uneven growth.... Gizzard impaction; bluecomb disease; alfatoxin poisoning; synovitis; contaminated hatching egg 
Swellings... Ruptured air sac; edema 
Twitching, muscular spasm... Botulism; infectious bursal disease 
Trembling...  Epidemic tremors; encephalitis (brain damage) 
Paralysis...  Botulism; Marek's disease; arthritis; aflatoxin poisoning; epidemic tremor 
Dehydration... Acute lack of water; coccidiosis; infectious bursal disease; nutritional imbalance-dietary salts
Nervousness...  Hysteria; drug intoxication; Newcastle; fungus infection 
Lying on breast, legs paralyzed...  Algae poisoning; acute lack of water; yellow jasmine poisoning; botulism; drug toxicity 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FEATHERS Symptom  Possible Cause
Moist under wing...  Infectious coryza
Loss of...  Molting
Deposits at base of shafts...  Lice or mite eggs
Soiled hackle feathers...  Infectious coryza, eye infection
Feathers picked...  Lice; nutritional deficiency-methionine; birds not debeaked
Depigmented...  Nutritional deficiencies-lysine, iron or folic acid
Broken on upper thigh...  Self picking
Feather eating...  Nutritional deficiency-methionine

Skin Symptom  Possible Cause
Pigmentation excessive ...  Poor production; high pigment intake
Nodules, mainly legs...  Marek's disease
Nodules over vent...  Flukes (rare)
Moist, necrotic, edematous...  Necrotic dermatitis, exudative diathesis
Darkened, purplish...  Erysipelas; fowl cholera
Crusted areas...  Erysipelas; scab; gangrenous dermatitis
Scabby hip...  Self picking, inflicted by other birds
Gangrenous, green...  Hemmorhage; arthritis; gangrenous dermatitis
Vent irritated...  Northern fowl mite; lice (occasionally)
Pale...  Anemia; nutritional deficiencies-iron, copper, or vitamin B12

Head Symptom  Possible Cause
Swollen, puffy...  Ruptured air sac; infectious coryza; injury; Newcastle disease

Comb Symptom  Possible Cause
Mottled, red and white margins...  Frozen
Eruptions, nodules...  Fowl pox
White, scaly, powdery...  Favus

Eyes Symptom  Possible Cause
Watery...  Infectious coryza
Blindness...  Fowl pox; aspergillosis; Arizona paracolon; paratyphoid
Watery, red, inflamed, closed...  Laryngotracheitis; ammonia burn; Newcastle disease; nutritional deficiency-vitamin A
Cataracts...  Epidemic tremor
Crusts on eye lids...  Nutritional deficiency-vitamin A; fowl pox
Pupil irregular, blindness...  Marek's disease
Blood in eye...  Hemorrhagic anemia
Large, swollen...  Mycoplasma infection

Face Symptom  Possible Cause
Swollen...  Infectious coryza; Newcastle disease; nutritional deficiency-vitamin A; E. coli
Darkened, purplish...  Erysipelas; fowl cholera; septicemia; injury
Nodules...  Fowl pox

Nostrils Symptom  Possible Cause
Discharge...  Infectious coryza; chronic respiratory disease; infectious bronchitis; influenza

Mouth Symptom  Possible Cause
Pustules...  Nutritional deficiency-vitamin A
Crusts at margins...  Nutritional deficiencies-pantothenic acid or biotin
Beak soft, rubbery...  Nutritional deficiencies-vitamin D or calcium-phosphorus imbalances
White coat over tongue and in mouth... Wet form of fowl pox
Ulcers...  Mycotoxins; chemical injury

Wattles Symptom  Possible Cause
Swollen, bulbous...  Infectious coryza; fowl cholera
Nodules...  Fowl pox

Neck Symptom  Possible Cause
Paralysis (limber neck)... Botulism; yellow jasmine poisoning
Twisting...  Newcastle disease; fowl cholera; brain infection; improper injection of Marek's vaccine
Retracted over back...  Newcastle disease; nutritional deficiency-thiamin
Retracted under breast... Nutritional deficency-vitamin E; Newcastle disease
Scabby necrotic areas...  Improper injection of drugs; other injury

Legs Symptom  Possible Cause
Paralysis... Marek's disease; botulism; heat stoke; epidemic tremor; cage layer fatigue; vitamin E deficiency; algae poisoning; yellow jasmine poisoning; acute lack of water
Rough, scaly... Fowl pox; scaly leg mite
Bowed, weak... Nutritional deficiency-vitamin D; osteodystrophy
Bone bends... Nutritional deficiency-vitamin D
Joint swelling... Infectious synovitis; paratyphoid; pullorum; zinc deficiency; staphylococcosis; tenosynovitis; arthritis
Tendon at hock displaced... Perosis (nutritional deficiency-manganese or choline)
Stilted gait... Tenosynovitis
Shank depigmented... Nutritional deficiency-vitamin A; coccidiosis; any low grade slow disease (for any length of time)
Toes twisted... Genetic

Feet Symptom  Possible Cause
Joints fixed...  Tenosynovitis
Swollen foot pad...  Infectious synovitis; bumblefoot
Toes curled...  Nutritional deficiency-riboflavin; genetic; management deficiency
Foot pad cracked, dermatitis...  Nutritional deficiency-biotin or pantothenic acid; management deficiency
Bird walks on toes...  Tenosynovitis
Toes twisted...  Genetic

Droppings Symptom  Possible Cause
Profuse...  Enteritis; excess roughage in diet
Bloody...  Cecal coccidiosis; Newcastle disease
Green...  Feed intake low; bile not diluted
Sulfur yellow...  Blackhead
Light yellow or yellowish-green...  Fowl typhoid; fowl cholera
Foamy...  Intestinal parasites (protozoa)

Egg Production  Symptom  Possible Cause
Sudden severe drop ...  Newcastle disease; infectious bronchitis; laryngotracheitis; influenza-A, mycotoxin, mismanagement (no lights, feed, or water)
Unsatisfactory...  Infectious coryza; fowl cholera; chronic respiratory diseases; diet deficiencies; gizzard impaction; fowl pox; hepatitis; lice; mites; ascarids; capillaria; lymphoid leukosis; coccidiosis; enteritis; pullorum; fowl typhoid; aflatoxicosis; adenovirus infection; toxins
Egg wrinkled, depigmented...  Necrotic enteritis; infectious bronchitis
Production pause...  Epidemic tremor
Poor shell quality...  Newcastle disease; infectious bronchitis; adenovirus infection; diet deficiency; T-2 fusariotoxin

Death  Symptom  Possible Cause
Instant, few or no prior
signs...  Aortic rupture; acute lack of water; fowl cholera; overheated, fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome
High mortality-producing diseases...  Fowl cholera; erysipelas; exotic Newcastle disease; acute coccidiosis; aflatoxin; botulism; poison; fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome

Return to:

Poultry Science Home Page
College of Agriculture & Life Sciences

Mississippi State University

For information about this page, contact Sharon Whitmarsh.
For information about Mississippi State University, contact msuinfo@ur.msstate.edu.
Last modified: Thursday, 15-January-1998.
URL: http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/diagext.htm

Mississippi State University is an equal opportunity institution.

As Mother Earth gives to you, give back to Mother Earth

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent