#1 09-07-2011 10:17:16

Dawn
Silver Member

Best breeds for winter egg production

I know, I know, (especially those of you in or around Texas experiencing the 105 degree weather like myself) we are NOT thinking about this winter yet, but one of the reasons I chose to order a speckled sussex this year was the potential for winter egg production with minimal coaxing from me (ie-no extra expenditure on lighting etc). I knew I wanted more buff orpingtons, and I also wanted to take this opportunity to pick a breed I might otherwise have overlooked (minimum ship number is four chicks for my area). So, for my first order, I chose two buff orpingtons, and two salmon faverolles (I ended up loosing one of each). My second order was one easter egger, one speckled sussex, and two blue laced red wyandottes. I have additionally ordered three easter eggers, three blue laced red wyandottes, and three black copper marans.

Looking over the hatchery website, it appears that my salmon faverolle will also be a good winter layer (yay!). I am going to have a mix of easter eggers, black copper marans, blue laced red wyandottes, a single buff orpington, a single speckled sussex, a single salmon faverolle, and a bonus rescue that happens to be a light brama.

Now, I did not have the forethought to order additional speckled sussex or salmon faverolles, and this late in the year, and with the three orders I've placed this year, I doubt I will be adding those to my flock soon. My goal is to avoid having to buy eggs from the store eventually. What other breeds should I be looking at for good winter egg production? Is there a site that lists them by season? I sure couldn't find one!

#2 09-08-2011 11:33:35

rkluse4570
Platinum Member
Website

Re: Best breeds for winter egg production

Black australorps are one of the best winter layers. They were bred in Australia to be really cold/heat hardy and to lay throughout the winter. My 2 hens laid year-rond for many years. And they were very good mothers.  hope this helps! smile

owned by 21 chickens and 2 turkeys! Plus 2 doz chicks in my brooders.
Visit River Trail Poultry on Facebook!

I love my peeps! eechick

#3 09-08-2011 07:22:47

tnchickhen
Gold Member
Website

I've been told by a lot of people that Barred rocks or cuckoo marans are really good hardy winter layers. I guess i'll have to wait until winter hits around here! and when that BR starts laying.

If you were plowing a field, which would you rather use? Two strong oxen or 1024 chickens? ----Seymoure Cray

#4 09-08-2011 11:02:51

Dawn
Silver Member

for some reason, mine always seem to be late bloomers...I got my current group about five months ago...they are still so small. I think they probably won't lay for a few more months. My last Buff Orpington (Butter RIP) didn't lay in the winter though I have read several articles that state Buffs are great winter layers.

#5 09-09-2011 12:17:33

tnchickhen
Gold Member
Website

My buff just started laying and she is about 35 weeks. I kept thinking that something was wrong with her. But she lays regularly now, 1 egg a day.

If you were plowing a field, which would you rather use? Two strong oxen or 1024 chickens? ----Seymoure Cray

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent