#1 05-03-2011 05:02:25

glowabout

chicken vomiting

My old hen is not doing good at all.  She has had feces build up that I have washed off twice, she doesn't seem to be eating but is drinking water.  Yesterday, she threw up and boy was it foul smelling.  Today when we picked her up she spewed out a bunch of yellow stuff.  Since then, she has drank some water but seems to throw that up and when she does it also smells very very bad.
She is about 6 years old and lives in a cage in the house and can come and go out side (very spoiled chicken).  Any idea what is going on?  Please help.

#2 05-03-2011 07:24:39

Adopted-by-Chickens
Gold Member

Re: chicken vomiting

How does her crop look and feel?  Does it feel or look full?  Is it soft  or hard?  It sounds like it could be a sour or impacted crop...has she eaten anything out of the ordinary that you know of, or had access to rotten or decayed plants or food-stuff she may have found while outside...or bad water? 

welcome to the site...sorry its not under better circumstances... shrug

"Individuals react not to reality, but to their perception of reality..."

#3 05-05-2011 06:43:21

glowabout

Re: chicken vomiting

Thanks,
Her crop is somewhat soft.  Could have eatten some bad food, she gets into the compost pile.  Drinking lots of water and also throws it up.  I gave her some mineral oil yesterday morning, this evening she had yellow runny poop.  Doesn't get around well at all.  We take her outside and she has a couple areas she moves around to but we bring her in to her cage at night.

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent