#1 10-25-2010 02:13:10

ChickenLover101

Eye problems in chicken

My chicks have these eye problems

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h331/Sharon_Greene-Gretzinger/PA240204.jpg

What does this problem look like to you? Here's some information:

-Half of our flock has it (must be contagious)

-Some chicks have diarrhea

-One chick has died suddenly

-Eyes got bubbly and watery looking before closing up

-Runny nose

-Swollen all the way to sinus

Do you need more pics?

#2 10-25-2010 02:14:03

ChickenLover101

Re: Eye problems in chicken

Sorry, the pic has turned up blurry, will be posting some more

#3 10-25-2010 02:37:10

ChickenLover101

Here's the other pic

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h331/Sharon_Greene-Gretzinger/PA250008.jpg

#4 10-25-2010 03:16:20

robin416
Grammy Award Member

Have you been putting neosporin in that bird's eyes? Very possible that caused what you're seeing.

As to your other issues, you have some sort of respiratory problem going through your flock. Contact your state vet find out if there is a charge for a necropsy and have tests done to establish what is going on.

Stand back, look at your birds. Tell where they came from, how long you've had them, did you add new birds. List everything you see. CRD can kill young birds but you haven't said the duration has been. When you notice a bird down how long before it gets worse, how long before another bird shows signs.

Search out and buy Made in America

#5 10-26-2010 01:50:43

ChickenLover101

Thankx. I'll stop using the neosporin. smile

#6 10-26-2010 03:34:00

robin416
Grammy Award Member

I am relieved to read it. And that is not said with sarcasm.

Now you need to go out and watch your flock. Make notes of what you see that you think is wrong, be very specific in what you see. Think about when the trouble came up and what made you realize something wasn't right.

Are you hearing coughing or sneezing? Are you hearing wet sounds? Is there drainage from the nares (noses) or weeping eyes or bubbly eyes.

Did you bring new birds in? Did you quarantine?

Are older birds affected or just the young?

Basically you need to tell us a story about your flock. Be very informative because we can't see what you see. Don't assume we know exactly what you're seeing by what you say.

#7 10-28-2010 05:13:39

ChickenLover101

This is what I have observed:

Some of the chicks are wheezing.
      The chicks have drainage from their noses.
      All the ones we have quarantined have eyes that are swollen (not as bad as the one above, this was one of our worst ones) or shut eyelids.
      All chicks have diarhea
      Chicks are not lethargic, however, except 2 that had died (one today and one about a week ago). These 2 also had droopy wings.
      Some chicks have red spots on their eyelids that kind of look scabby.
      Two chicks have bumps on their faces, one has it right above it's eye and the other had it on the corner of its mouth (but that one died)
      Right before eyelid shut, eyes were watery (kind of like little bubbles)
I haven't, though, heard any wet sounds
With the diarhea and watery bubbly eyes, I thought that it could be CRD. For a while, we also thought that it could be coccidiosis, although now we've ruled that out. Another possibility was drypox, but we don't have any mosquitoes this time of year and only two chicks have the red spots on their eyelids. The first time a chick's eye got all watery and shut up, we'd thought that it'd just got pecked in the eye, so we held a warm cloth against its eye an put the sterile contact lense liquid into its eye, thinking that'd help prevent infection. At this time we'd not been using Neosporin. I had had the chick in my room for maybe a week when another in the milkroom (that's where we keep them, with a vent open, could this pose as a problem) had its eye seal up. It's not till the third that I knew something was up. So we did some research, blindly and stupidly used the neosporin in the eyes, and came up with these things to help
         Oxytet in the water to help with the CRD
         2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar mixed in water to build their immune system
         an aspirin sizd piece of garlic for all of our chickens to build their immune system
         A warm rag held against their bad eye
         And once in a while we put a couple drops of Visine in their eyes
One of the older chicks we'd put in with the older ones got the eye problem in BOTH eyes (one of the eyes is easier to open, though), but other than that, only the chicks have gotten it. We got the 22 chicks from a swap on the second of October. They started getting the eye problems maybe a week after. We had quarantined 6 chicks with the bad eyes. We put the healthy 12 in a large black cage in our barn. Our other five layers are outside and seem unaffected by this illness (we also have 1 of the 2 older chicks out there, she seems pretty healthy). Sadly, though, 2 bad eye chicks died, and one healthy one had to go in with the sick ones last night and another this morning. I am very confused if whatever disease is going around is caused by a virus or bacteria.

Other information: The main problems again are bumps on faces, red spots on eyelids and swollen shut eyelids. The one in the pic above has lost its eye and the swelling is going down. Another balck one, the one that was the fist to have the problem, has also lost its eye. If the chicks do have CRD, will they be carriers of it forever? If you need any more information, I'm glad to write it.

#8 10-29-2010 05:24:41

robin416
Grammy Award Member

I don't know. A necropsy would be the best thing you could possibly do. They can isolate what is going on.

Barring a necropsy I'm going to suggest a drug cocktail. It goes in the waterer, 2 tsp of Gallimycin and 1 tsp of Auromycin in a gallon of water. Give this to them for two days. Other than using ointment meant for eyes stop all other things like the vinegar and aspirin. Auromycin is easily available at your feed store, you probably have to get the Gallimycin off the internet from one of the livestock websites.

Give them yogurt with live cultures or pro bios made for chickens to rebalance their GI tracts.

The red spots could be from using the neosporin.

CRD does have a higher mortality rate in chicks so it could still be CRD. Can your others get it? They sure can but I would hold off treating them to see what happens. Yes, they will be carriers.

There are two other things you could do instead, one is a drug that would have to come from your vet called Denagard (Tiamutin) or contact http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/ and ask them if you should use this: http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/stor … ucts_id=96 You could also ask if the can get the Denagard.

#9 11-30-2010 08:17:52

maggiep101

i have a eye problem looks like warts on their eye lids . not all my chickens have it and i have quarantined the ones that have what looks like a fungus i have been using a Nu-Stock it is suppose to help with infection and they seem to do better for while i am doing this . i apply this stuff every time i see them . i was told to use a boric acid solution . i have not tried that yet. It always starts on their eye lids and spreads to their gaggles. Help me cuz i love my little rooster he is so sweet .. No one seems to know what itis .

#10 11-30-2010 03:54:35

Cirque de Poulet
Gold Member
Website

Start a new post and you'll get better response

You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result.
                                                                                                             -- Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLOFoWcg3C8

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent