• Index
  •  » Emergency Help!
  •  » Chicken sounds congested,won't eat,drink, or move around & she fell!!

#1 10-06-2010 11:33:03

mrushing

Chicken sounds congested,won't eat,drink, or move around & she fell!!

Hi, we just started with chickens a few months ago.We have a pen of about 15 Rhode Island Red chickens.12 hens and 2 roosters(I think). One of the hens is in a corner by herself.Not eating or drinking and just laying there.Closing her eyes every now and then like shes asleep. Also I took 1 hen out of the pen for a little while because she was making these funny breathing sounds with her mouth open. And I never actually saw her do it,but she flopped or fell or something.I was always a second too late to see it.I just heard it and turned and saw her struggling to get upright again.These chickens didn't all come from the same place.We hand raised six of the hens.Bought the 2 roosters from two different places.And the 7 other hens from somewhere else.The hen thats laying around is one of our first hens.Shes about 6 1/2-7 months old. The other hen is also one of our first hens and the same age.I'm REALLY worried about our chickens! I have searched the web and can't find anything that seems to have all these same symptoms. I'm afraid they have some disease and going to spread it to the others. Also we have a pen of 10 leghorns and about 123 Banties running around as yard chickens.Can someone please help?????sads

My husband & I are currently being raised by 4 children.We were adopted by 3 dogs,7 cats, & about 37 chickens!

#2 10-06-2010 08:25:08

Adopted-by-Chickens
Gold Member

Re: Chicken sounds congested,won't eat,drink, or move around & she fell!!

If I read your post correctly, you have 123 bantams free ranging and an additional 25 or so others in two separate pens...the sick hens need to be separated from the rest and from each other so you can not only observe them better for other symptoms (eating, drinking, pooing, etc.), but to prevent the spread of any illness to the rest of your chickens...a large dog kennel works well for us as our "hospital/sick room"...

As far as trying to figure out what to do to help, we need more information regarding exactly what's going on with each of the sick ones...how much they're eating or not, if their poo is normal, overall behavior/activity level, any discharge from eyes or nares, etc....

Welcome to the board...  smile

"Individuals react not to reality, but to their perception of reality..."

#3 10-07-2010 07:40:19

mrushing

No,I don't have 123 bantams.Sorry I hit the wrong button.Only have about 12.
Had to move 2 more of my hens this morning & a rooster.

Hens: Eating: Very little
Drinking:More than eating but still not much
Poo: I dunno yet.Will update this evening now that they are separated from the others.

Rooster: Eating: normal
Drinking: Normal
Poo:I dunno,will update this evening also.

Crow:Sounds kind of odd.Starts out ok and breaks up a little in the middle,almost likes he's hoarse.We initially thought he sounded that way because he looks like an older rooster to us(long spurs, and seriously intimidates our younger same size & breed rooster as him.)even tho the guy said he wasn't.

I moved 1 of my Roos because last night my hubby told me he was severely congested. I hadn't heard him do this until I tried to catch & move him. Now he sounds congested.

Also they share their regular pen with a half grown turkey.
Any and all info & help is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by mrushing (10-07-2010 08:16:24)

My husband & I are currently being raised by 4 children.We were adopted by 3 dogs,7 cats, & about 37 chickens!

#4 10-07-2010 10:35:51

skycladfaerielady
Silver Member

This sounds like it could be Cocci. If they are under 23 weeks, I would put them on Amprolium. (sp?) It is 1 of the few "drugs" that can be used regularly without complications. It is a Thiamin blocker. Cocci has to have Thiamin to "grow."  By 23 weeks o age, your chickens should have an immunity, so if they are older than 23 weeks, I am wrong.

I have Polish, Houdans, Crevecoeurs, RIRs, BRs, EEs, Australorps, Seramas, Golden Comets, Silkies, Mille Fleur d'Uccles, Cochins, Buff Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Guineas & am working on developing my own breed.

#5 10-07-2010 02:41:30

mrushing

skycladfaerielady wrote:

This sounds like it could be Cocci. If they are under 23 weeks, I would put them on Amprolium. (sp?) It is 1 of the few "drugs" that can be used regularly without complications. It is a Thiamin blocker. Cocci has to have Thiamin to "grow."  By 23 weeks o age, your chickens should have an immunity, so if they are older than 23 weeks, I am wrong.

I believe they are at-least 6 months old. eechick How do I find out if it's cocci?
BTW, my hubby went and bought them an antibiotic. I'm not sure of the exact name but I know it treats CRD and a sinus condition but can't remember the exact name.We are supposed to treat them for 7-14 days.

I am wondering if maybe they have too much dust in their pen.Could this be the cause of these symptoms?thinken
The hens I moved this morning seem to have perked up some.The  first ones eyes are definitely swelled a pretty good bit.How do I clean her eye without hurting her? It's completely shut and running or oozing or something.sad3
All info is greatly appreciated!clap

#6 10-07-2010 05:10:11

Basia
Platinum Member

hang on ...  I am going to find Robin,,,,

"Quite Literally true that we are StarDust.  In the highest exulted way one could use that phrase."  Neil deGrasse Tyson

#7 10-07-2010 05:18:50

Cirque de Poulet
Gold Member
Website

As for cleaning the eyes, I have taken those cotton rounds (not as many free fibers as balls) and saturated them in tepid water (imagine not too warm for the eyes but not cold either) and just drizzled it over the effected eye until I can safely and comfortably wipe the eye area off without causing damage or distress.

You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result.
                                                                                                             -- Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLOFoWcg3C8

#8 10-07-2010 05:29:12

skycladfaerielady
Silver Member

If they are 6 months old, I really doubt it is Cocci.
Sometimes mites will cause these symptoms, too. Have you dusted them and the coop lately? Mites will "eat" on them until they just get weak. They will sit, all fluffed up & "yawn" a lot. The mites eating on them literally exhausts them. Red mites are the hardest to detect. They do not live ON the chicken, but in the cracks in the wood of the coop & come out to feed on the birds at night. About the only way to see them is to go out to the coop at night with a flash light. It took me 3 nights out with the flash light to verify that was what I had.

I have Polish, Houdans, Crevecoeurs, RIRs, BRs, EEs, Australorps, Seramas, Golden Comets, Silkies, Mille Fleur d'Uccles, Cochins, Buff Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Guineas & am working on developing my own breed.

#9 10-07-2010 05:46:58

robin416
Grammy Award Member

Since the signs and symptoms are rather vague I looked up problems that also involves the trachea and air sacs. Some are viral and self limiting, some are viral and not good news. Some are bacterial which will need appropriate drugs.

Because of the turkey my first on the list is Fowl Cholera.

Second, Avian Influenza. And before everyone gets their pants in a twist there are many strains of AI out there. Most of them are not even a concern.

Third, Infectious Bronchitis. This one is viral but generally an antibiotic is dispensed to fight off secondary bacterial infection.

Fourth is M. Gallispeticum.

Last is Aspergillosis.

And just because look up Newcastle Disease. This one does not strike me as being it but some parts of the country have had problems lately.

Look all of these diseases up and read about them on several different sites until you see what might look like what you are dealing with.

And no, this is not Cocci. There isn't a single thing in your post that indicates that is what is causing the respiratory symptoms you see.

And an additional caution, Amprol is a drug. It does have consequences when used inappropriately. For one, as a thiamine blocker it means the bird being dosed is not receiving the thiamine it needs.

Search out and buy Made in America

#10 10-07-2010 05:52:03

Adopted-by-Chickens
Gold Member

Basia wrote:

hang on ...  I am going to find Robin,,,,

I see Robin posted before I got this done...do whatever Robin says to do...she is the expert on these matters...

"Individuals react not to reality, but to their perception of reality..."

• Index
  •  » Emergency Help!
  •  » Chicken sounds congested,won't eat,drink, or move around & she fell!!

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent