#1 08-02-2010 09:48:44

sunshadow

seems my chicken cant walk

Hi..I am new here...but I have just recently started raising chickens..everything is going along fine..I have five right now...but one of my girls seems to be hurt..a couple of days ago i noticed her not walking right kind of like a limp..its almost like she cant control one foot/leg...they are in a coop and I take them out and let them roam in a large pen so nothing happens to them..I noticed this on Friday morning....i have researched online and found some different ideas and advice..I took her to a feed store for help, we dont have a chicken vet here..now I have held her and tried to "examine" the leg and foot I have not seen anything that leads me to believe there is something stuck, nor does it feel broke, I hold her and she can stand on her leg, on the ground she stands on her leg, but when she goes to walk its like the leg just gives out..I do not want anything to happen to her...I just want to know if there is something i can do to help her...the other chickens do not pick on her, she seems to get to the food and the water, she hobbles out when i open the cage...but mostly she just lays there...and she does not get up into the coop for bed..
please help
thank you in advance

#2 08-02-2010 09:59:55

sunshadow

Re: seems my chicken cant walk

i just read on another post about daisy's tail...the owner said daisy had a sprain ...im guessing maybe this could be the problem, and how do i know, and is there anything I can do for her?
thanks again

#3 08-02-2010 04:13:41

BantyChickMom
Mod Squad

IDK what's going on with your hen, but sometimes they can sorta sprain their leg/foot when coming down from a perch, or sometimes they can sorta twist it a little when stepping in a hole, kinda like us clumsy humans.

I'm not sure what you can do for her, maybe dissolve an aspirin in a gallon of water for her.

#4 08-02-2010 04:46:52

suzette pergande
Gold Member

try the aspirin and see how it goes i put mine down before i knew about this site, and i still miss her.

#5 08-12-2010 06:23:18

sunshadow

i tried the aspirin and i thought she was getting better then this morning it seems she is worse....she was laying on her side with her legs stretched out and looked as though she could not move...i watched for a bit and she did get up i feel so bad for her i want to help her but i dont know how..please someone must have had something like this happen i cant imagine this is an isolated case...her droppings are normal, she is still eating and drinking, i had her out yesterday and she pecked the ground from a prone position, she does attempt to move about, when she does manage to get up and try to walk she falls to the front beak in the ground...
please help
thank you in advance

#6 08-12-2010 07:30:45

Adopted-by-Chickens
Gold Member

How old is she?  What breed is she?  Has she started laying eggs yet?

"Individuals react not to reality, but to their perception of reality..."

#7 08-12-2010 08:03:49

sunshadow

she is only about 3 months old..she is a cochin banty, and no laying eggs yet

#8 08-12-2010 02:56:58

Adopted-by-Chickens
Gold Member

Hmmmm...she's not a silkie - so probably not a neurological injury to the head...she's not old enough to lay - so not eggbound...she is young enough that it could possibly be a neurological form of Marek's disease, but I'd  have to do some more research on it...

#9 08-12-2010 05:54:11

sunshadow

Hi, thank you again for responding to my post...I have looked up this Mareks disease and this doesnt seem to be the culprit...she does not have any lesions, nor are her eyes messed up....I have laid her in my hands on her back and have felt every possible place to feel and have felt nothing broken or no bumps, nothing out of the ordinary....she doesnt cry out in pain of any kind...I dont really know if chickens do that...but she doesnt seem to be in pain ...
please if there is any other advice I do not mind researching, and again I appreciate your response to my post
thank you

she is in a coop with 4 other chickens who appear to be healthy

Last edited by sunshadow (08-12-2010 05:54:57)

#10 08-12-2010 07:38:39

Adopted-by-Chickens
Gold Member

Marek's disease has several different manifestations: it can cause internal lesions and tumors, OR it can cause tumors around the feather follicles (feels like rough or raised skin), OR lesions and tumors of the eye (the eye may look grayish or have an irregular shaped pupil), OR it can manifest neurologically causing transient  and/or permanant paralysis of the legs, wings, or neck...     neutral

It can also manifest as a combination of two or more of the above groups of symptoms...  hmm

Marek's affects younger birds, generally under 5 months of age...some have a natural immunity before that, but for the most part after 5 months the immunity kicks in...although it has shown in some birds as late as 40 weeks, but that's rare... It is airborne carried in feather dander and inhaled through the respiratory system...it can actually be carried on the wind and spread farm to farm...  hmm

Since its caused by a virus, there is no test or treatment for Marek's other than to let it run its coarse...BUT similar symptoms can be caused by other things such as botulism, vitamin deficiencies (thiamine, calcium, phosphorous, or vitamin D)...

So, your best course of action would be to make sure all the nutritional needs are being met, keep them free of parasites, plenty of fresh clean water, keep their food and pen/coop area clean...this would also prevent botulism in the event your birds have had access to sources of the toxin causing it, i.e., dirty pond mud or water, decaying carcasses/plant material, maggots, and dirty litter...in the case of botulism, antibiotics should be administered also...

I know it sounds awful no matter what it is, but the best thing to do would be consult a livestock vet...maybe your local AG center could recommend one...  hmm   Keep us posted...

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent