#1 06-18-2010 08:14:17

Adopted-by-Chickens
Gold Member

Sky Blue feathers...?

I realize our chickens are free range mutts, but one of the girls (from last year's brood, so we know she's about a year old) has some of the most beautiful light blue feathers coming in on her back, tail, and wings...the rest of her is black for the most part (a few white feathers where the blue is coming in and some gold lacing just around her face.).

What kind of chicken has sky blue feathers?

"Individuals react not to reality, but to their perception of reality..."

#2 06-18-2010 02:03:12

Hencackle
Mod Squad

Re: Sky Blue feathers...?

flash Love to see a photo of your hen, I'm sure she's stunning.

Ok, here's a list of breeds that have blue feathers...I'll need some help from other members, so chime in if you think of another breed.

Andalusian
Ameraucana
Araucana
Jersey Giant
Orpington
Wyandotte
Langshan
Silkie
Dutch Bantam
Belgian D'Anver
Cochin
Marans

I've got a FOWL mouth!
cool Song  = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WVNN_DJe0

Spread the Love...Gentle Art of Blessing = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obH3wByg … re=related

#3 06-18-2010 08:09:48

Adopted-by-Chickens
Gold Member

Hmmm...I looked up all the breeds you suggested on FeatherSite...the only one close to the blue coming out on Hennah is the picture of a Blue Quail D'Anvers named "Dora", but Hennah is mostly black...the blue on her is a vivid sky blue - almost what you'd see on a Blue Jay or maybe a parakeet...however...there is also a picture further down of three D'Anvers chicks that are dead-up what she surprised us with today...  tongue 

She's been basically hiding out in the coop since the day after Nilly was killed...apparently she's been doing more than just hiding...  hmm  I had just checked on her before we left for appointments about noon today...we got home about six, I went out to check everybody's water, etc., and there were three tiny faces peeking out from under her...  tongue  There's just the three - no other eggs or anything...so that makes 19 chicks altogether...in 6 weeks we've gone from having 9 chickens to 28...  yikes

I'm gonna have to completely rebuild the coop before I even finished it!...Oh well...  hmm  I have to say though, of all the girls Hennah was the first to go broody last March, but she lost her nest and is not fully recovered from losing her tail and a hurt wing after tangling with a possum (where those injuries are is where all the blue is coming in)...so if anybody deserves to safely have a bunch of babies, I guess it would be Hennah...  smile

Thanks for the input on coloring...its a very pretty blue especially contrasting against the white and black...

#4 06-19-2010 05:29:39

Baxweird

I too am going to have to rebuild my coop before it is done lol. For some reason i did not take into account room for nesting boxes doh ah well...

"Diplomacy is telling someone to go to Hell in such a manner that they look forward to the trip"

#5 06-19-2010 06:06:13

BantyChickMom
Mod Squad

Deb, I'd love to see a pic of those blue feathers.

#6 06-19-2010 07:35:03

Adopted-by-Chickens
Gold Member

I will try to get a picture as soon as she'll let me...she's being very guarded now with the new babies...she's been very shy and skittish since the possum attack, so we haven't seen much of her when she's relaxed, stretching her wings, etc. - she was out of the coop for over an hour taking a long dust bath (the day before we discovered the chicks) ...I was standing near her watching due to some hawks overhead, and when she spread her wings and tail out I was rather stunned by the color change in her...I had noticed the white as her tail and wing feathers grew back in, but the blue is new in the last couple of weeks as far as I know...

She was an awful wreck when the possum hurt her and got all her eggs before, so she's being very anti-social now that she finally has some babies...she and the babies have the whole coop to themselves cuz she won't let anyone else near them...  hmm   Everytime I try to get a better look she herds everybody into the nest box and hides...

#7 06-19-2010 07:42:25

Hencackle
Mod Squad

I wish my Blue Jersey Giants had vivid sky blue feathers....hmm
Reckon Miss Hennah's mom had a fling with a Blue Jay? Perhaps an India Blue Peacock?  Hybrid Fowl haha  rotflol

Tell Hennah we're waiting on her to pose for the camera.  crazy 

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm99/Hencackle/smilies%20and%20gifs/thimpatient.gif

I've got a FOWL mouth!
cool Song  = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WVNN_DJe0

Spread the Love...Gentle Art of Blessing = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obH3wByg … re=related

#8 06-19-2010 08:52:06

Adopted-by-Chickens
Gold Member

thinkenbulb  Hmmm...I was thinking maybe a feral Parakeet cuz she squawks a lot...but you could be right...a Blue Jay... thinkenbulb   Would that make her a Jayken or a Parachick...  rotflol

(Oh...poor Hennah's been through so much...now I feel bad for making fun of her... shrug )

Edit:  Nope not the peacock...that's more of a royal blue (I looked it up tongue )  BUT...it did remind me that the original boss roo was mostly black with flashy blue and white feathers in his tail...okay...okay...now we're getting somewhere...we know who the daddy might have been... thinkenbulb ...but we still don't have a clue about the breed... sad

Last edited by Adopted-by-Chickens (06-19-2010 09:17:44)

#9 01-17-2011 03:32:08

smoothmule

I'm about 6 months late in posting but one of my Araucana hens, she's tufted and has a tail, is a pretty pale blue color

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/8809_luvdove03jan2011_01.jpg

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent