#1 06-09-2010 11:44:38

Dawn
Silver Member

Weak chick? Please help. She is dying...

A couple of days ago, I got my order of new babies in smileclap I am so excited woot

But I am concerned about one of my babies. I am pretty sure I have figured out which breeds I have, and the one I am concerned about I think is one of my two welsummers. She is a little smaller than the others, but she is active. She stands and makes the distress call that chicks make although all the others are perfectly content, happily peeping away, eatting and drinking, and falling asleep. When I pick her up, she stops, and makes happy chick noises and closes her eyes. She shouldnt be cold...they have a good heat lamp, and all stay spread evenly throughout the enclosure.

My biggest concern is that she dosnt seem to be eatting or drinking like the others. I checked her and her crop is empty (it is 1:30), and everyone else has at least a little bit of food in them. At this point, they are about three to four days old. Is there anything I can do for my little girl? What's wrong with her? I have plain yogurt. Do you think it would help?

Last edited by Dawn (06-10-2010 10:29:42)

#2 06-09-2010 07:08:10

BantyChickMom
Mod Squad

Re: Weak chick? Please help. She is dying...

You have got to get her to eating.   Add water to some food, take her out and dip her beak in it, anything to get her to peck at even a little food.
IDK what it is but I have lost 6 chicks that I hatched because they never would eat.  IDK if the chick starter was too big for them or what, but I am paying close attention the the newly hatched now, I can't stand to lose another chick.

#3 06-09-2010 07:32:50

Adopted-by-Chickens
Gold Member

This may sound a little ridiculous, but when I had to take McGoo out the day he hatched because of the wry neck, he didn't seem to want to eat at first either...so I mashed up some boiled egg yoke and did what I saw the mothers doing to get some of the chicks to eat - I'd pick up a piece, break it up a little more using my finger nails like a beak, then drop it in front of him...I had to do the same with the chick starter and crushed oat meal until he got the idea...he's two weeks old last Tuesday and doing fine now...the others didn't seem to need any coaching, but I noticed with both Toffee and Snow some of their chicks needed mom's help and some didn't...  hmm

"Individuals react not to reality, but to their perception of reality..."

#4 06-10-2010 10:19:33

Dawn
Silver Member

...She still isnt eatting. today she is cold, her eyes are closed, and she is just making pathetic noises. She stands, but the other chicks make her loose her ballance. I tried to put some moist chick starter and yougurt in her beak...she seems to swallow it, but I cannot get enough in her. I dipped her beak in a little water a few times, and she seems to drink it, but I think I may have aspirated her a little, so I stopped. I moved all the babies to a lower box along with her so that the heat lamp can be closer...please, does anyone have any tricks I can use that might save this little one?

Last edited by Dawn (06-10-2010 10:24:46)

#5 06-10-2010 11:03:48

Adopted-by-Chickens
Gold Member

Did you try giving her mashed up egg yoke? Can you separate her from the others so she doesn't get picked on? 

Again, this may sound odd, but I can only go by what I have observed the moms doing - can you hold her for extended periods?  You said in the original post that she would cry until you held her, then would settle down...the smallest of the two and four week old chicks I have are both still under or next to their mothers most of the time...when we had to separate McGoo, he would stand and cry until we picked him up...we even considered making a pouch of some kind to carry him in...my daughter and I took turns...he outgrew it somewhat, but still likes to be held before "bedtime" when the daddy roosters crow outside at dusk...

There could also, unfortunately, be something physically wrong that the chick will not thrive...but I do have two "mom dependant" chicks that are weeks old...so hopefully that's all it is... pleaseplease

I don't know much about chicks, so all I can do is learn from the mamas, and do what I see them do...it seems to work...we have 6 four week olds and ten 2-3 week olds... neutral

Last edited by Adopted-by-Chickens (06-10-2010 11:26:32)

#6 06-10-2010 11:53:02

Dawn
Silver Member

She isnt getting picked on. She is just getting pushed out of the way a little bit. I am hesitant to move her because the warmth of the other chicks coupled with the heat lamp is keeping her body temperature up. I have been holding her, and I did get almost an entire cc of pedialite in her. I have boiled some eggs, and am going to crumble the yolks when they cool off. I have made a mash of yogurt, chick starter, and water, and have been able to get a little bit of it in her. I dont think it is enough to make a difference though. She is keeping her eyes open a little bit more...but not enough to make me stop worrying.

I am worried that 1cc isnt enough, and I did not even get a measurable amount of food into her...

#7 06-10-2010 12:21:11

Dawn
Silver Member

I got enough food in her that I can feel it in her crop...She is so weak...

#8 06-10-2010 12:27:30

Hencackle
Mod Squad

I hope she does ok.  Do you have any hand feeding formula, such as Kaytee Exact?

I've got a FOWL mouth!
cool Song  = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WVNN_DJe0

#9 06-10-2010 01:29:48

Adopted-by-Chickens
Gold Member

How is she doing now?  I know its only been a couple of hours, but with McGoo the first couple of days he was up and down a bit, and all he'd eat was the yoke...McGoo had been injured - too many chicks hatched all at once, so I had to separate him, but as long as the others aren't picking on or stepping all over her its probably good to keep her with them for company and warmth...Do you know if she comes from the same hatch as any of the others?

#10 06-10-2010 10:09:00

Dawn
Silver Member

I had to go to work right after I made that last post...My sister is here, so she kept an eye on her. For some reason, the chick is soaking wet...she did not fall in the water. So far she is hanging on.

My sister moved her to her own box, a really small one to help contain the heat. The heat lamp is pretty close to her, and she has paper towels around her to help hold in some heat. She is still wet, though my sister did attempt to dry her off. She is just sitting in the box gasping. I am scared to try to feed her anything when she looks like she is struggling for air like that.

I was going to try, but I dont know if it is a good idea...please help!

She is a hatchery chick from my pet chicken. They all have the same hatch date, but I got several different breeds. Everyone else is doing fabulous.

edit: I picked her up and checked on her, and it looks like her feathers are dried. They must have something on them because they are all stuck together. Her head is limp, and her eyes are only open a little. She is still gasping. I dont know if she will make it through the night, or what I should do till morning...

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent