#1 05-20-2010 02:00:34

BlueEggs4Life
Website

chicken seizures?

I have a black australorp pullet that is having crazy symptoms. Yesterday I found her upside down, wedged in behind the feed bin, no idea how she got there. I picked up her and placed her near the water dish and she had very bad balance. I assumed this was from spending time upside down and left her alone after a few minutes of her acting normal again. When I went back to the coop to check on her she again had wedged herself in the same manner. I noticed she keeps her head downward and walks backward with her neck twisted down and around and shakes. After about 10-30 seconds this stops and she heads for the food or water. Sometimes her backwards walking and shaking leads to her doing a somersault. This repeats every few minutes. I got out a 30 x30 rabbit cage I use for isolation of chicks and placed her in there to avoid her wedging herself in odd places again. She is eating and drinking but looks so pathetic with her neck twisting spazes. Any idea on what the cause could be or treatments for this? All other birds are acting normal. I will try to upload a video of this behavior soon.

Owned by 2 Pembroke Welsh Corgi's (Turbo & Diesel), 2 rescue cats (Penny & Datsun), 6 Easter Egger hens(Maku, Sake, MooShoo, Seasame, Tofu, Bak Choi), 1 Light Brahma (Ricky), 1 Black Australorp (Julian), 5 bantam hens (Mohawk,Baby Boots, Mama, JRoc, Butters) 2 Pheasants (Goldie & Babe), and one VERY understanding hubby (Mike)... sooner or later they are going to kick us out of the city - I NEED a farm!

#2 05-20-2010 02:34:57

Hencackle
Mod Squad

Re: chicken seizures?

How long has she been like this?  Sounds like wry neck which could have resulted from an injury to the head or neck. Try giving her liquid children's vitamins and vitamin E.
Prednisone has been given to chickens for head injuries, so see if you can find a vet to prescribe some.

Polyvisol Enfamil (without iron)—4 drops/day in beak for a week, then taper off

vitamin E with selenium—not to exceed 50 mcg
                                give ˝ capsule for 7 days

Last edited by Hencackle (05-20-2010 02:35:34)

I've got a FOWL mouth!
cool Song  = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WVNN_DJe0

Spread the Love...Gentle Art of Blessing = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obH3wByg … re=related

#3 05-20-2010 02:38:01

BlueEggs4Life
Website

I found her like this yesterday... I will do some research on wry neck and look into the vitamins you are talking about. I put nutridrench in her water today.

Owned by 2 Pembroke Welsh Corgi's (Turbo & Diesel), 2 rescue cats (Penny & Datsun), 6 Easter Egger hens(Maku, Sake, MooShoo, Seasame, Tofu, Bak Choi), 1 Light Brahma (Ricky), 1 Black Australorp (Julian), 5 bantam hens (Mohawk,Baby Boots, Mama, JRoc, Butters) 2 Pheasants (Goldie & Babe), and one VERY understanding hubby (Mike)... sooner or later they are going to kick us out of the city - I NEED a farm!

#4 05-20-2010 03:22:13

BlueEggs4Life
Website

I am so mad, I have a great video that shows very well what is happening but it's too large for any of the photo uploaders I know of (288 mb). Here is a photo I have though that you can sort of see what is happening.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv13/BlueEggs4Life/IMG_4548.jpg

#5 05-20-2010 03:25:33

BlueEggs4Life
Website

I will head to the store tonight and pick up the vitamins you suggested. Any ideas on the best way to get a 1/2 capsule down a pullets throat?

#6 05-25-2010 10:28:19

BlueEggs4Life
Website

Update: I have been giving the poly-vi-sol and E w/selenium for 5 days now. I do see improvement. Less neck twisting, and I was even able to let her out of her isolation cage to be with the others today. Thank you for your advise and I hope to keep seeing improvements! smile

#7 05-25-2010 10:47:47

Hencackle
Mod Squad

Any ideas on the best way to get a 1/2 capsule down a pullets throat?

P-r-i-c-k the end of a liquid capsule and squirt contents into the beak.  If that's too awkward to do, just mix the supplements into a moist food that you think your chicken will like to eat such as applesauce or yogurt.   
The language censor prevented me from typing the first word without hyphens.  smile

Last edited by Hencackle (05-25-2010 10:49:59)

I've got a FOWL mouth!

Spread the Love...Gentle Art of Blessing = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obH3wByg … re=related

#8 05-25-2010 11:02:01

Hencackle
Mod Squad

One of my friend's chickens developed wry neck and she added prednisone to the treatment plan and it made a huge improvement.

Here is the article that I've been searching for, written by Alan Stanford in terms of treating Silkies.  Other breeds benefit from using the same supplements for their wry neck/crookneck condition.

Treating "Crookneck"
by Alan Stanford
Permission to share this is granted as long as you give credit to the Author

Here is my theory and therapy for what some call "limber neck" and I call crookneck. The symptoms first show as a crook in the neck. It progresses to
tucking the head, then tucking the head between the legs, then backing up, and tumbling over. It usually hits young birds but can happen at any age.

It is unclear what causes crookneck. American Silkie Bantam Club members suggest water on the brain, vitamin E deficiency, and injury to the brain that
is outside the skull and forms the knob on the top of Silkie's heads. The brain injury is the cause I feel fairly certain about.

Water on the brain was seen in a necropsy of an affected bird. Prednisone was suggested as symptomatic relief. Vitamin E and B complex are both good for neurological disorders. Selenium helps absorb vitamin E.

Here's what I do for affected birds. If started before symptoms get severe, the bird will totally recover. To give vitamin E - just cut the end off a human capsule and squirt it in the bird's mouth.

It is important to be sure the bird gets enough to eat and drink while it has this problem. Birds with severe cases of crookneck can't eat and drink enough to survive. You will need to gently place their head in the feed dish and carefully dip just the tip of the beak in water. Be careful not to dip too far into the water and to not stress the bird while trying to help.

The following is for an adult about 2 pound bird. Scale back for smaller birds.

For the first week I give

Twice a day
2.5 mg of prednisone
400 IU of vitamin E

Once a day
A piece of human vitamin B complex pill or a squirt of human liquid vitamins
Selenium (50 micrograms/day for half size juvenile for 3 days)

For the second week I give

Once a day
2.5 mg of prednisone
400 IU of vitamin E

Every other day

For the following weeks I give

Once a day
2.5 mg of prednisone
400 IU of vitamin E

Every third day

Do not abruptly stop prednisone, the swelling rebounds, decrease dose
gradually.
Vitamin E recovery can be slow; continue the vitamin E for several weeks at least.

You can get the prednisone from a vet; just describe the problem of swelling in the brain probably due to injury. Yes Silkies' brains do stick out through a hole on the top of the skull.

You can get the vitamin E, selenium, and vitamin B complex or liquid vitamins at any pharmacy.

I've got a FOWL mouth!

#9 06-21-2010 01:52:58

BlueEggs4Life
Website

Update: she is all better! Thank you so much for the advice. It took some time on vitamins and separation from the others but she is back to 100% now and was able to be reintroduced to the flock after just 2 weeks.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv13/BlueEggs4Life/IMG_4622.jpg

#10 06-21-2010 03:05:18

TerrasCritters
Platinum Member

Thats great news! I had a silkie do this, and with the vitamins and such I was able to help her too!

Hugs TerrasCritters

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent