#1 03-01-2010 12:00:27

sjtrout1

I NEED SOME HELP. I'm afraid my chicken is sick. I need advice.

I have some pet chickens in a fence. I have had two white chickens. I'm not sure what breed you would describe them as. But, they are the kind that you see on the chicken trucks that we eat. Back in December, one of these chickens sounded very raspy. She sounded like she was wheezing or rattling. She then got very sick and was having a hard time standing up. She would fall over. Within about 3 to 4 days, she died. Now over 3 months later, my other white chicken is making that sound. She is walking fine. But she's making this raspy, congested, rattling noise. I don't want her to end up like the other. Any suggestions on what this is and what I could do?

#2 03-01-2010 12:46:27

GreenGoddess

Re: I NEED SOME HELP. I'm afraid my chicken is sick. I need advice.

If these are the same kind as the ones you find on a chicken truck, thay are meat chickens or cornish cross.. Do they have food free choice (do you keep the food out there all the time for them to eat whenever they want it) or do you give them a little bit everyday? Meat chickens are designed to grow very quickly and they will eat constantly unlike other pet chickens like rhode islands, leghorns, barred rocks, etc... Most of these meat chickens don't live past 7-10 weeks of age just because their bodies can't handle the weight and if they are not culled for meat, their hearts will give out, they have trouble breathing, their legs will not be strong enough to carry them anymore and many more problems.. If you only give them food once or twice a day and ration it, then you may be looking at a resperatory problem..

Goddess chickie2

#3 03-01-2010 01:48:13

sjtrout1

I do feed her once daily. She is a pretty large chicken. She is solid white with a red like face. She was on her way to the chicken plant when she fell off the truck. She has grown a great bit since this happened around the 3rd of December. The other chicken that passed away, came from a neighbor. She looked like the same breed of chicken. I don't know how old she was. She was full grown when they gave her to us. She had this same breathing sound when she was sick. But, she got to the point that she couldn't stand up. She would lose her balance and then fall over. Then she died within days. I don't want this to happen to this chicken. She is very friendly and is not very old. I figured she had been given growth steroids and such, since she came from a chicken house and was to be eaten. I really hoped she would be okay from all that, and would be able to just live as a normal chicken with the rest of ours. Is there a way I can treat a resperatory problem in a chicken? Thank You for commenting. I do appreciate it. I'm no expert with chickens. I just have them as pets. I've never had any problems out of them before.

#4 03-01-2010 02:08:21

GreenGoddess

I am glad to hear you only feed her once a day.. That takes care of a big problem since most people think all chickens are created equal.. I would most definitely keep her in a comfortable spot and keep her warm.. Not sure you if you keep her in the house or not but that would be a good idea.. If she does have a resp issue, she needs all her strength to get better.. You can try to give her some poly-vy-sol (without iron) infant drops that you can buy over the counter at just about any grocery store.. Are her droppings normal? Still eating/drinking? If she has grown too much, she may have gotten too big for her body to handle and her system may be failing.. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to keep a "meat" chicken as a pet although people have done it.. But it takes a lot of extra care and time... What kind of food are you feeding? I'll try to find some more info for you..

Goddess chickie2

#5 03-01-2010 05:07:34

dirtyfeet

If you think it's a respiratory infection you can treat her with Tylan 50.  The ration is .27cc per 1# of bird.  For 3 days in the left breast area, different spots each day.  You will see a noticeable difference immediately.  If she's isn't better after 3 doses, it may be her heart.

SAHM mom with a loving husband who realizes that chickens are indeed "therapy", a 12 yr. old daughter, and 5 year old boy/girl twins, 2 beagles, 3 cats, 28 adult chickens and umpteen young ones due to broodies, and 5 turkeys  big_smile

#6 03-02-2010 07:10:56

sjtrout1

Thanks Yall so much, I spent some time with her yesterday. She is sneezing and she has diarhea. She is eating and drinking. I will try what you all have suggested. I don't think she's too big. She is a lot larger than the two Silkies she lives with. But she's very active and not too heavy. Her fence line actually runs along the driveway. She likes to run along the fence and chase cars that drive by. She's a very pretty chicken. I'm going to hope this is just a cold she has aquired and I will try my best to treat it and get her well. Thank you again so much. I will try to find these meds.

#7 03-02-2010 09:47:34

GreenGoddess

If she is sneezing also, I would definitely say some sort of resp infection.. I agree with sjtrout on the Tylan50..

Goddess chickie2

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent