#1 12-31-2009 05:03:10

nothawk
Silver Member

Plastic Owl- will it scare my chickens?

I am sick of the wild birds eating my girls' feed and pooping everywhere in my chicken yard! angryflame

I was thinking of getting one of those plastic owls. Does anyone else use them?  Will it frighten my girls or just the little wild birds?  Should I put it in the pen or outside it?  On top of the coop?  Got ideas?

Thanks so much!

Sylvia

Sylvia

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. -G. Carlin

#2 12-31-2009 10:24:40

Grea
Silver Member

Re: Plastic Owl- will it scare my chickens?

I have one and no it doesn't scare mine. I've seen my girls sitting right next to it. I think you should put the owl outside above the coop, where a really owl might perch, because if the wild birds see the hens sitting with it, the owl's cover will be blown. rotflol

Last edited by Grea (12-31-2009 10:33:02)

#3 01-01-2010 12:50:07

paganfish
The Ancient Chicken Sage

I hear the ones with the bobbing head are MOST effective. I have an owl on my garden...not sure if it keeps birds of prey away though.

thinken

"I put a capital N on nature and call it my church."
-Frank Lloyd Wright
smile

#4 01-05-2010 07:45:10

Bruce Lee

I had trouble with my chickens on my back porch..so i put down a rubber snake...it was really funny to watch all of them gathering around it..just a clucking..and it has kepted them off of the porch

just wingin it!!!

#5 01-05-2010 09:14:05

Hencackle
Mod Squad

I had trouble with my chickens on my back porch..so i put down a rubber snake...it was really funny to watch all of them gathering around it..just a clucking..and it has kepted them off of the porch

That would never work on mine, they peck at snakes. 

The rabbits in my yard are brazen little critters because they eat from feed bowls in the yard or go into the coop to eat from the hanging feeders.  The wild birds sneak some food from the bowls too but I don't mind that either.

I've got a FOWL mouth!
cool Song  = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WVNN_DJe0

Spread the Love...Gentle Art of Blessing = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obH3wByg … re=related

#6 01-06-2010 07:22:57

chicknik
Silver Member

other than bringing in lice and other unwanted friends..........I guess I overcome that by giving them their own feed away from the chicks.. and their run.  I usually don't leave food outside, but sometimes it spills on the way inside.  Chipmunks usually take care of that!

#7 01-07-2010 11:29:34

Dawn
Silver Member

hm....do plastic owls scare predatory birds? this morning when I went out to feed everybody, a red tailed hawk landed on a low branch just feet above my head...I am pretty sure that is where frizzle went...I shooed it away with a rake, but now I am worried that it will keep coming back. They are federally protected, so I need some way to control their actions rather than controlling the animals themselves...

#8 01-26-2010 02:36:34

pef

Hi

Im a new member to this site and im from the uk. I am also a pest controller.

I use various methods in my work to scare and discourage birds from roosting and feeding in lots of different situations.

I have found that large owl decoys will scare birds for a while but they soon get used to them if you dont move them about (often).
I have also found that if the decoy is large enough to be a creature that can harm the chickens, or any chicks that may be about, it will scare the chickens at first but they will get used to it, as will the birds you dont want.

The chickens seem to be most worried if they can see the face/eyes of the decoy.

I found this out by accident when I carried an owl decoy, that I had purchased for a pigeon scaring job, past my chicken run to my store shed. If I faced the owl torwards my chickens they all legged it away from me, even though they normally crowd round to see if I have treats for them.
When I turned it so they couldnt see its face they all came back.

So I would suggest placing any decoys so that the chickens cant see them (if possible). And moving the decoy every few days to keep it effective.

Other ways to reduce the numbers of wild birds is to place the food for your chickens in a place where the wild birds cant get easy access to it, or even better in a place where they cant see it.

I hope this is some help to you.

Pef,

#9 01-26-2010 10:34:15

thndrdancr
Double Platinum

Dawn, plastic cd's hung from tree branches are said to help with hawks, as the flashing distracts them when they are flying down to scope or to get something.
I am not sure its 100% effective but I think it does help tremendously, which is about the best one can do.

Jill~Chicken mom to six chicken children!

#10 01-26-2010 12:43:10

Dawn
Silver Member

wow, I may have to try that....never would have thought of it

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent