#1 12-07-2009 11:15:20

helen jeffery

My Chicken Emily is Bloated and lethargic....please help

For the last couple of days my chicken Emily breed Is a  Isa Warren has been out of salts. She is very bloated and lethargic, normally she is very lively and comes down the garden when i call her. Yesterday I thought she may have a broken egg inside her so I vaselined the vent and held her over a pot of hot steam and gave her a drop of Andrews Liver Salts in some water, but this hasn't really made alot of difference. She is quite a small chicken and lays double yolka eggs, I have had a problem with her before where she layed 3 to 4 eggs that wasn't formed properly but this hasn't happened for quite a while. I was wondering if she may need an extra vitamin supplement or if you have any other suggestions anything would be appreciated. Please help me.

#2 12-07-2009 11:17:30

BantyChickMom
Mod Squad

Re: My Chicken Emily is Bloated and lethargic....please help

Does she have an impacted crop?

#3 12-07-2009 11:27:25

helen jeffery

I'm not to sure as she had gone to roost by time I got home from work, I did look in on her and she still looks quite bloated. My daughter said she felt her crop earlier and seems to think that it is quite soft.

#4 12-07-2009 11:31:17

BantyChickMom
Mod Squad

I don't know much about health issues, but sounds like she could be an internal layer

#5 12-07-2009 12:11:12

helen jeffery

I don't know she could be, thats why I did what I did yesterday because I thought she had a broken one inside her. Is there any body else that would be able to give me some information on this website as to what the cause could be please. Thankyou for your help so far it was much appreciated.

#6 12-08-2009 01:12:52

helen jeffery

Can anyone help me, my chicken Emily is still not well, her crop is empty and when she goes to toilet it is very loose and white. She is not eating but drinking lots. Please help me if you have any ideas I would be very grateful.

#7 12-08-2009 03:12:48

thndrdancr
Double Platinum

When my two girls became internal layers, I had to actually bring them inside to make sure they were eating, and was given antibiotics which seemed to be key in getting them past it.

Both of them would eat manna pro medicated chick crumbles when they would eat NOTHING else.  I also lubed them both up inside with a non needle animal syringe.  I never could feel anything "up there" but they definitely had probs that way.

Both of them made it, but my Red never has layed an egg again.  I didnt care as she was my lovebug, she is my only first chicken I have left.
The other one has become a house chicken so I can keep on top of her, but she looks fantastic now.

If it is laying probs, its best to try to bring them inside, keep them in a fairly dark place so there body doesnt try to produce the eggs, and try to tempt them to eat.  Its a horrid problem with a very poor diagnosis.  sad  Good luck with her, they CAN make it, but I dont want to get your hopes up.

Jill~Chicken mom to six chicken children!

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent