#1 10-10-2009 11:28:28

Laura

Sick Chicken with Diarrhea

I'm new here and am in need of immediate help.  I have a chicken who got very sick suddenly night before last.  She has water diarrhea, is down (meaning she doesn't walk around) she is off food and does drink some.  I have her quarantined in the garage with a ceramic heat lamp, on soft wood shavings.  I put Tylan in her drinking water this morning but I also have Doxycycline Hyclate that I have not given to her.  The other two chickens seem okay for now although one has looked scruffy and has some feather loss.  She has looked that way since last spring but acts fine.  I'd like to help her as well.  Nobody is laying at this time although they layed all last winter.

#2 10-10-2009 01:53:16

TurtleChick
Platinum Member

Re: Sick Chicken with Diarrhea

aw poor girl!  sounds like you're doing everything right...  any chance you could get a fecal sample to a local vet for analysis?  might be worms... 

otherwise, i'd concentrate your efforts on getting her to eat - she's not going to last long w/out food.  try her food made into warm mash with perhaps vitamin/electrolytes in her water...  or make a vit/electrolyte mix water and use that to make wet mash food, since she's getting tylan in her water.  if she won't eat food at all, try scrambled eggs, hard cooked egg yokes, cottage cheese, plain yogurt, etc. - pretty much anything you can entice her to eat. 

good luck with her!
and welcome to cc!

bsmile  Love my DH, 3 kidlets, 3 doglets, 2 kitties (one of whom thinks he's dog #4...), 6 orpington girls: 2 blue, 2 black, 2 white

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.  ~Will Rogers~

#3 10-10-2009 03:20:12

robin416
Grammy Award Member

A ton more info is needed.

What are you feeding them?
Does she feel light?
Have you checked for mites?
Have you ever wormed?
How old is the bird?
What breed?

Search out and buy Made in America

#4 10-10-2009 09:44:16

Laura

Just an update.  I had already gone to the feed store and picked up electrolytes and vitamins and added those to her water.  She is drinking quite a bit and she did eat some hard boiled egg mashed up.  I cleaned her up a bit as well.  She had a lot of poop in her feathers and there was a lot of matter that looked like spinach throughout it.  Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day for little Shaya.

#5 10-10-2009 09:47:40

Laura

To answer your questions, I feel Purina layena, she may feel a bit lighter but not a big difference, I see no mites, I have never wormed (not too many worm issues in AZ), Shaya is one and a half years old and she is a Buff Orpington.

#6 10-11-2009 05:48:49

robin416
Grammy Award Member

Take her off the antibiotics, that will make the GI problem worse and I don't see anything so far that indicates she should be on them. She should be on electrolytes and antibiotics at the same time any way.

The green is probably showing she has not been eating.

Is there a bad smell to her droppings?

What do her eyes look like?

Have you checked to see if she has any tender spots in her abdomen?

#7 10-11-2009 07:54:58

chicknik
Silver Member

Every time someone needs help, I learn something, and hope I never need assistance, but at least will know what to look for immediately!
Good Luck Laura and Welcome
Thanks to you all
Niki

#8 10-11-2009 11:02:40

Laura

Everyone has a different idea of how to treat making it hard to know just what is the best alternative.  I've taken her off Tylan and she now has only electrolyte/vitamin mixture in her water.  She will only eat hard cooked egg chopped up.   Does not touch her crumbles.  In dogs, Tylan stops diarrhea!  Also in dogs pumpkin can be used to help stop diarrhea.  What works in chickens???  Is there anything else I can feed her to help stop the diarrhea?  Banana?  All the help is appreciated! She stand up briefly now periodically.  Hope she doesn't backslide without the Tylan.  Laura

#9 10-11-2009 12:41:11

robin416
Grammy Award Member

Offer her some cooked oatmeal, that will help. And if she eats it you might be able to sneak some of her feed mixed in with it. If you by some chance have a cat offer her some of the cat's dry food. Yoghurt with live cultures will help rebalance her gut. You can purchase pro bios to add to her water.

Sometimes you have to be very patient or persistent in getting them to try an unfamiliar food. Most of the time when they try it they will be a little more aggressive about eating. Most of the time I offer the new wet food in a spoon, I scrape the spoon at the tip of the beak which gets a tiny bit in for them to taste.

Sometimes I suggest adding sugar for taste if they are not excited about the oatmeal, but be careful because it can add to her GI problems. Stay away from any fruits or veggies that have sugar in them. I think pumpkin is one of those that has a high sucrose or fructose content.

Keep in mind you are dealing with a completely different species. Tylan works wonderfully for bacterial infections but can create just the opposite problems from other species. Some things cross over easily, some don't, some can kill.

#10 10-11-2009 02:24:44

chicknik
Silver Member

Laura, please trust what Robin is telling you.  she has a wealth of knowledge, and helped me with a crooked beak on one of my hens. 
Niki

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent