Mod Squad

Re: Ant Poison

IDK  shrug    Just wanted to say  welcome

#3 10-05-2009 03:35:58

paganfish
The Ancient Chicken Sage

That depends on the repellent...

Read the label. It will indicate whether it's safe (or unsafe) for household pets/livestock.

Good luck and welcome

"I put a capital N on nature and call it my church."
-Frank Lloyd Wright
smile

#4 11-14-2009 12:00:10

TriOmega

Highly unlikely that any poison is safe to sprinkle around the chicken yard.
I waste (expend?) hours in a day prying open ant filled logs for my chickens to feast upon. Can't you get them to eat the ants?
Are these big scary Texas-style ants?
I think sometimes even my hoe-hum carpenter ants get a good bite in on a girls face.
Maybe put a huge piece of plywood or such, over the area you poison so the chickens can't get it.
They still might eat poisoned bugs, however.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
Do the ants bite the girls?

#5 11-14-2009 11:41:05

HippieChickens

TriOmega, red imported fire ants are actually pretty small, but they have a nasty sting and attack by the hundreds to thousands in defense of their nests, like Africanized bees. They can and do kill pets, livestock, and people.

lisafra, have you tried pouring boiling water on the mound? It may take several of those treatments to knock back a big colony, but I had some success with that when I lived in fire ant country. I found several other interesting non-toxic safe-for-poultry approaches here:

http://www.fireant.net/Control/

Birds are my life.
Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral. - Frank Lloyd Wright
You know what they call 'alternative medicine' thatís been proved to work? Medicine. - Tim Minchin
My family: 4 Easter Eggers, 1 African Grey Parrot, 1 Border Collie, one formerly stray indoor-only cat, a tank of tropical fish, hundreds of freeloading wild birds, and a patient husband with a great sense of humor.

#6 11-14-2009 04:40:10

chicknik
Silver Member

What about the infamous DE that I use for most everything except getting them to stop picking on a rooster!  http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/de_retailers.html
Niki

#7 11-21-2009 12:03:25

TriOmega

Whoa cool!  Interesting non-toxic solution.   Way to think creatively!  Hot water, huh?!
I know it works GREAT to pour boiling water on a fresh red-wine carpet stain.   Ants, huh...
Yea, My Darling little Lucy the Brave-hearted doesn't go in for the ants anymore. I saw her shaking her head after injesting a few.  It looked like maybe they were stinging/biting her from inside her crop.
They LOVE ant eggs and will go for the ants escaping with egg in tow, while ignoring eggless-ants.  I've watched with terror as the girls have swallowed scorpions (which I couldn't grab first) and other creepy stinging things).  They love 'em!
No one's died from that yet, but there's time yet in life for anything.
I in no way mean to down-play the potential hazard of crazed ants.  I have little to zero experience with that.
Good info.

big_smile
btw... what is "DE"

#8 11-21-2009 12:07:38

Dawn
Silver Member

DE is great stuff big_smile  it is "diatomaceous earth" if you click on the link that chicknik put up, it will tell you more about it. I use it in my girl's food, and many people use it in just about everything. I have even heard of people consuming it themselves! It is also called fossil shell flour.

#9 11-21-2009 12:10:18

TriOmega

Oh, another idea.
I hear there is a fellow who has mushrooms to fix different problems.  He has one which will digest oils-spills better than anything else on earth and I hear he's got one which ants carry home to unwittingly kill off the whole nest "organically".
I believe it's Paul Stamets up in Washington.  Amazing man.
Fungi Perfecti is the name of the mycological lab.
I actually sent an inquiry last year because our house was being eaten by ants. We didn't want to tent the house.
No-one responded to my email.
Perhaps it is not available to the public, but I saw a nice documentary about it and him.
Interesting at least, if not entirely helpful.

#10 11-21-2009 12:13:58

TriOmega

Thanks Dawn.  Yea, okay, heard of that. 
People eat that ??
Don't trouble yourself to respond - I'll go check it out.  Sounds like great stuff! big_smile

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent