#1 06-30-2009 06:30:44

FeatherbarM

Cross Breeding Chickens

I have a multi breed flock of egg layers.  Thinking of getting a rooster to add chicks to the flock.  I currently have Blue Orphingtons, Production Reds, and Splash Orphingtons.  The color of the coming baby chicks is really not important to me but I do have access to a Production Red rooster.  Does anyone think that this would be a problem in cross breeding him to my current flock?

#2 06-30-2009 07:06:16

chicken_fever
Platinum Member

Re: Cross Breeding Chickens

Depends on what you are looking for. Are you wanting egg production or trying to sell chicks?

Because you already have blue and splash orphingtons, I would go in that direction. In the fuTure, you would be able to sell fertile hatching eggs and chicks. The cross with the orphington's and the production reds is fine if egg production is the only thing you are considering.

There is a decent demand for orphington's so just look for a nice Orp roo and happy breeding

welcome  smile

Last edited by chicken_fever (06-30-2009 07:06:48)

If two wrongs don't make a right.... try three

#3 06-30-2009 09:14:38

BantyChickMom
Mod Squad

I also think Orps would be the way to go if you want a breed that's in demand.

welcome

#4 06-30-2009 09:34:10

TerrasCritters
Platinum Member

I think it doesnt matter, if the color of chicks dont matter to you then it shouldnt matter what rooster you get, unless your going to spread them around to people who do care.

If you have the space get both, and ORPINGTON rooster, and a production RIR, and make 2 pens. I know a excellent orpington breeder, who *might* have some blue cockerels, or some cockerels who might work in your orpington pen.   big_smile
Check out www.korfuskluckers.com  big_smile

Hugs TerrasCritters

#5 07-02-2009 08:27:17

FeatherbarM

Ok now I have a problem with nonpoisonous snakes stealing my eggs.  HELP! I have heard that ceramic eggs work wonders on taking them out.... what else might work other than a very sharp hoe? sad

#6 07-03-2009 06:41:25

chicken_fever
Platinum Member

ohhh Featherbar, I just posted another post about the very same. A nasty rat snake just ate and broke all my broodies eggs.

I am glad you know they are non poisonous, if your girls do not free range, you can try crushed moth balls around the outside of the coop.

My girls are outside most of the day. so I cannot put that down where they can get it.  I try to leave my non poisonous snakes alone, I shew them away from the yard, but when they are IN the nest, they need to become compost.

Yes, I have heard of using ceramic or stone eggs and that supposedly will kill them, but I am not sure where to get them. Maybe someone will come along and help us both..

Hugs for your chickens

#7 07-04-2009 08:03:45

FeatherbarM

Ceramic eggs can be found at local feed stores, just ask someone.  From what I hear (haven't used em but going to ) is that the snake swallows them and when they go to crush them inside tummies it cuts them to ribbons and the snake dies.  I value my eggs and the prospect of baby chicks in the next 21 days so BAD BAD BAD snake!

#8 07-04-2009 12:45:36

becky3086
Website

A pair of loppers work good here, lol. Has taken care of two large snakes this year.  cool

Serama, mille fleur, welsummer, cuckoo marans, black australorp, splash polish, BL polish, BTB Japanese, corturnix quail, white silkies, crested ducks,bantam EE's,mottled Japanese,standard EE's,1 muscovie duckling, sseveral OEG.

My want list!
Crevecoeur, Polish, Houdan, Japanese bantams, Porcelain Pyncheons, Dorking, Brabanter, bantam barred rocks, d'uccle-(colors besides mille fleur).

#9 07-04-2009 05:53:22

chicken_fever
Platinum Member

FeatherbarM wrote:

Ceramic eggs can be found at local feed stores, just ask someone.  From what I hear (haven't used em but going to ) is that the snake swallows them and when they go to crush them inside tummies it cuts them to ribbons and the snake dies.  I value my eggs and the prospect of baby chicks in the next 21 days so BAD BAD BAD snake!

OHHHHHH Babies coming??? Eggciting!  So do you have a broody? Whatcha hatchen excited Whatcha hatchen excited

Ok, Like I said, I had a snake eat my broody's eggs, and they were due.... MONDAY, so this means war (where's Yosemite Sam)

Loppers work, sledgehammers work, but at this point, extra extra vigiliance , checking the nest box and around the coop several times a day until you have dispatched any and all that threaten the almighty eggs!

Good luck. Let us know what your hatching yay

#10 12-14-2013 12:13:17

Barbara

Hi, just joined this site,

Have a question about breeding chickens, I would like to breed orpington hens with a JG, like to get opions about these two chickens being crossed, bad or good?

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent