#1 05-11-2009 11:52:03

faziostore

First time wing clipping???

Okay, firstly I feel horrible!  I have 10, six week old chicks.  They have been in their outdoor coop (approx 8' X4' plus 2'X4' box) for a couple weeks and doing great.  They are in the shade, but it is over 100 during the day.   For about a week I have been letting them out around 2:00 or 3:00 in the afternoon so they can have some fun in the side yard (40'X15').  It is obvious they look forward to the afternoon outing.  Well the block fence is only 6' tall so I have been concerned about them flying the fence.  Today I decided to clip their wings just in case.....I just hate the thought of loosing any of them.  I read online how and what to clip.  The first three went fairly well.  I got to my little Oplinger (buff orpington) and it went really bad.  I must have clipped her to short, she was bleeding.  I was mortified....my question is, will she be okay.  It was not much blood, just enought to freak me out.  She didn't even move when I clipped them, totally calm.  Can they feel it?  Will she be alright?  Should I do anything for her?  Now I am scared to death to do the other six!

Thanks for any input,
First time chicken Mom

They may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you treated them.

#2 05-12-2009 12:21:11

TerrasCritters
Platinum Member

Re: First time wing clipping???

Sorry to hear this has happened to you, I can relate to your feelings, hoping your bird/s are going to be ok. I have never done this, but doing DNA samples, and giving shots always makes me feel bad for them.

My first question is, what breeds? Orpingtons, especially large fowl are not very flighty, if your birds have enough room to roam, I can almost guarantee they wont try to fly out.
So what breeds do you have? You might not even have to clip their wings. 6' fence should be more then plenty to keep them in, my chicken yard fence is only 2' and my birds never go over it when I have it up. I have all bantams.

As for the issue that's already taken place, she will be ok, as long as you got the bleeding to stop, yeah, she felt it alright, and might be a bit tender, you do not have to cut very much off, those feathers must of been fairly new, we call those blood feathers, after a few weeks the feathers don't have blood in them.
Sometimes feathers will break and bleed, so, she will be fine, but for the others if you insist on clipping them you only need to take a couple inch's.

I am really curious to what breeds you have. Have they been really flighty there at home already?

Hugs TerrasCritters

#3 05-12-2009 09:24:01

faziostore

Thanks for the response.....I do feel terrible.  After I trimmed the first three, who I think are roos, she was such a delight to hold.  She was so sweet about it.  It was a very small amount of blood, but scared the liver out of me....freaked me out that I had hurt her.

Maybe your right, cllipping may not be necessary at all.  I am new, so I know very close to nothing about this.  The fence is a full 6' block wall.  I guess I always get leary of loosing pets whenever I start to get attached....there are dogs on the other side and I know it would be a one way trip.  They seem to like to fly up on top of their coop, which is 4' tall, so I was afraid with a little wind combined with a little scare, they may pop right up on the wall.   It is over 100 degrees in the afternoons, so I need to keep the coop in the shade, or I would move it.  They do fly around the yard about 2' - 3' high mostly chasing each other around. 

As for breed....eight of the 10 are mixed.  There was an add on craigs list and took all 8 she had.  Honestly I forget what breeds she said, but I think they are all just a mix.   Chipper, one of my roos has feathered feet.  I bought two as pullet chicks from the feed store, one sussex and one orpington.  They are all almost eactly 6 weeks, but they are not all the same size.  I got them all the same day approx one week old, April 6th.   I think I might have 4 pullets and 6 roos....but like I said I know just enought to be dangerous.....just ask my poor little Oplinger.

Thanks again for all the info.  It's really helpful to get input from others who have some idea what they are doing.  I won't be trimming her wings again.  Since I know her breed, and based on your experience, I don't think I need to. 
I have made an attempt to add a link to my photo bucket so you can see them......which may or may not work

http://s663.photobucket.com/albums/uu35 … 4%20weeks/

Thanks again!
First time chicken Mom

Last edited by faziostore (05-12-2009 09:35:13)

#4 05-13-2009 07:25:17

rio

i clipped all my hens wing!what u clipped was a blood feather!its a feather that is still growing out! no biggie but next time look at the stem and if its reddish dont cut it! and i  only cut one wing not both! mainly to keep them from roostin in he trees. this way they go back to there coop at night and they are also easier to catch when they know they cant fly or fly straight!

#5 05-13-2009 03:28:38

faziostore

Okay, thanks!  Now I know what to look for, I will really watch what I am doing better.  I don't think I'll clip Oplinger again, since I know her breed. 

Can anyone tell me if the Sussex fly very well?  My other for sure (well suppose to be) pullet is a Sussex and if she isn't known to fly I will skip the clip on her too. 

I am just relieved that Oplinger will be alright.  I have gotten attached to the two, I think, are suppose to be my hens. 

You are all a great help!
thanks for taking the time to enlighten me.

First time chicken Mom

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent