#1 03-30-2009 06:01:15

godfry n. glad
Banned

Black sex-linked crosses.

Hey, guys...

I've been flalling about trying to come to a decision as to how to refer to my black sex-linked crosses.  I think that calling them 'black sex-linked crosses' is a mouthful and awkward.  I found the term "Black Rock" on line....I liked it.  Then, I ran into a couple of feed stores that sold theirs as "Black Stars".  When I looked into it, they are both the same and an additional Miss Pepperpot is yet another, and English, name for the same cross.

So...Since the next generation does not breed true (thus making it not a breed), any name they attach is merely a vanity title.  So....I've made my decision.  I've decided to compromise and joint the two most common appellations I've come across and call mine "Black Rockstars". 

big_smile

#2 03-30-2009 06:13:16

chicken_fever
Platinum Member

Re: Black sex-linked crosses.

rotflol Black Rockstars indeed

how about     thinken    thinkenbulb      sexy~ rocks ?

Go ahead and explain THAT one !!!  cafbl

If two wrongs don't make a right.... try three

#3 03-31-2009 09:18:17

godfry n. glad
Banned

It does suggest a means of naming the lot, that's for sure.

Flo, Betty, Diana & Mary?

Diana, Gladys, Patty & Tina?

#4 04-07-2009 06:34:25

horsegirl

Well, the general term is a black sex link (RIR x barred rock). 

Oh, and if you are going to breed back your sex links first of all do not use a rooster from your same stock to prevent inbreeding and remember that the first generation of a crossed chicken breed is always the most productive.

Check out http://backyardpoultry.wordpress.com/ for poultry and cattle information and http://allaroundhorses.wordpress.com/ for horse information!

#5 04-07-2009 09:34:14

godfry n. glad
Banned

horsegirl wrote:

Oh, and if you are going to breed back your sex links first of all do not use a rooster from your same stock to prevent inbreeding and remember that the first generation of a crossed chicken breed is always the most productive.

I cannot keep a rooster.  I do not wish to keep a rooster in the city.  I do not wish to breed back my RockStars, as I'm not interested in breeding them (yet).  Besides, like most rockstars, I hear tell they don't breed true.  I understand one breed needs to be the hen and the other the rooster to obtain the desired result, and, if it's switched, the cross does not occur.  Is that right? 

This black sex link only happens with the RIR x Barred Rock?  What happens when you cross a RIR with an Australorp?  Or, with a Jersey Giant?  Is it only the RIR/BR cross that creates this particular productive cross?  If so, why?

#6 04-08-2009 05:41:09

Basia
Platinum Member

"Quite Literally true that we are StarDust.  In the highest exulted way one could use that phrase."  Neil deGrasse Tyson

#7 04-08-2009 09:10:09

godfry n. glad
Banned

Yes...it did.  Thanks.

It also reinforced my suspicion that I can call them any name I wish...like Black RockStars.

Heh...

#8 04-17-2009 11:40:22

horsegirl

godfry n. glad wrote:

horsegirl wrote:

I cannot keep a rooster.  I do not wish to keep a rooster in the city.  I do not wish to breed back my RockStars, as I'm not interested in breeding them (yet).  Besides, like most rockstars, I hear tell they don't breed true.  I understand one breed needs to be the hen and the other the rooster to obtain the desired result, and, if it's switched, the cross does not occur.  Is that right? 

This black sex link only happens with the RIR x Barred Rock?  What happens when you cross a RIR with an Australorp?  Or, with a Jersey Giant?  Is it only the RIR/BR cross that creates this particular productive cross?  If so, why?

Yes, to make a "true" black sex link the hen need to be a barred rock, because the rooster ends up lookinb like a barred rock, just with a red tint to the feathers.  The reason black sex links are preffered is because you can sex them right once they hatch, I am not sure if there are other crosses that could, but the reason the RIR x barred rock does is because the males, who look like a barred rock when full grown have a white spot on their heads just like a pure bred barred rock does, where the female will not. 

Other crosses might be a sex link type thing once full grown, i.e. the males look different from the females, but I am not sure if you can tell the difference at birth.

I hope this makes sence.  I have not bred those particular crosses so I am not entirely sure...I have some posts on things like this at my blog http://backyardpoultry.wordpress.com/.  You could check that out if you wanted.

Oh, and the reason the chicken crosses are more productive is not necessarily the sex link stuff, it is just that you are introducing new genetics because a lot of line breeding (inbreeding) is done with chickens and that can lead to less productivity when it comes to laying eggs.

Check out http://backyardpoultry.wordpress.com/ for poultry and cattle information and http://allaroundhorses.wordpress.com/ for horse information!

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent