#1 03-22-2009 09:57:37

Dogwoman29
Silver Member
Website

cure for poopy butt

Any cure for poopy butt or is it just happin to some. Im cleaning them under warm water and they seem fine. Is there somthing I can do to help them.  Its a pain in the butt if ya know what I mean lol. thanks

#2 03-22-2009 01:52:42

Lolypop

Re: cure for poopy butt

Pasty Butt;

OK, The straight skinny on "Pasty Butt". Believe it or not, Pasty Butt is a symptom of constipation. The cure is molasses in their drinking water. Molasses is a natural laxative for fowl. Mix it like weak tea and give it to them for 2 days. Naturally you should clean their little butts with a warm damp cloth before you start the treatment. Failure to cure this condition could result in a painful death for your chicken. This treatment is for adult birds as well as chicks.

In God We Trust

Shamo, Reza Asil, Brazilians, Spanish Games, Chinese and Emden Geese, and one old Pit Bull named Sugar. Fifty one years with chickens and still learning.

#3 03-22-2009 10:21:04

thndrdancr
Double Platinum

Oatmeal sprinkled on their food sometimes helps as well.

Jill~Chicken mom to six chicken children!

#4 03-22-2009 11:52:00

cherndon712
Grammy Award Member

Usually, pasty butt is caused by stress, chilling, too high of protein in feed, and a few others. These are the common ones though.
I clean their bums with warm water, and using a q-tip, put just a minute amount of olive oil on their tush. This helps keep the poo from sticking again.

Crystal 
~Silkies, Mille Fleur d'Uccles, Seramas, Buff Orps, and a crazy variety of other chickens!
~Bourbon Red and Pencilled Palm Turkeys
~BEI, Runners, Cayuga and Rouen Ducks, Toulose and Mixed Geese

#5 05-18-2009 04:41:28

Dogwoman29
Silver Member
Website

Just a note on what worked. I added cornmeal and oat meal to the chick starter and  it worked with in 6 hours. No more poopy butts. I dont know if this actual worked or if it was just stress from shipping and just took some time. With 300 chicks I was going crazy.I hope this helps someone else too.

#6 05-18-2009 06:55:40

paganfish
The Ancient Chicken Sage

Dogwoman29 wrote:

Just a note on what worked. I added cornmeal and oat meal to the chick starter and  it worked with in 6 hours. No more poopy butts. I dont know if this actual worked or if it was just stress from shipping and just took some time. With 300 chicks I was going crazy.I hope this helps someone else too.

I get oatmeal from the start and sprinkle it over their food...this prevents it. I haven't had peeps that get PB since doing this...

Good call Jill!

yay

"I put a capital N on nature and call it my church."
-Frank Lloyd Wright
smile

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent