• Index
  •  » EGG to CHICK
  •  » Look AT My Eggs On Page 2 - MY Welsummers Started Laying!

#1 01-05-2009 10:50:28

AKA Steve
Web Master
Website

Look AT My Eggs On Page 2 - MY Welsummers Started Laying!

I hate trying to take pictures of eggs, it is impossible to capture what the eye see's. (Am I being repetitive?)
Before all our chickens stopped laying, I could tell you which egg came from who.
Of coarse the Welsummers hadn't laid any eggs at that point and now that many of our girls have resumed laying, I am having difficulty figuring our who's is who's....

and then today we got "THE ODD EGG"

On the left is an Australorp Egg, I can tell by it's size and color.
On the right shock I have no clue!!! I know you can't see what we see in person, but it is larger then the one on the left, it's shell is far more bumpy then the egg on the left and it is a darker color with a different hue.

http://www.chickencrossing.org/9eggduo.jpg
Dominique eggs do tend to be more bumpy then Australorp or Wyandotte eggs, but are not usually this large and dark.
http://www.chickencrossing.org/9eggside.jpg

All of the eggs in the picture are Medium size, with the exception of the ODD EGG and the Easter Egger eggs; both of which are Large eggs.
My guesses on the eggs pictured are:
1) Dominique egg(hazels) (2)Australorp (3)Australorp (4)Odd EGG (5)Easter Egger
http://www.chickencrossing.org/9eggrows.jpg
Bottom Row from previous day:
1) Wyandotte (2)Australorp (3)Australorp (4) Easter Egger

The confusion is compounded by the fact that the eggs have all been dirty and had to be washed.
The (1) eggs in both rows may be from the same chicken, but despite their similarities, they have some distinct differences.
Hazels the Dominique, often has egg color more similar to winnie the wyandotte, but the egg texture is more like her counterpart, Domineak the Dominique.

It is Possible that the Odd Egg is just and unusual egg from Domineak, or it may be our first welsummer egg.

Even more info then you could want; for those interested.
Dominique eggs tend to be kinda bumpy with a very slight pinkish tint to the light brown.
Australorp eggs tend to be a light earthy brown with slightly more yellow tint and a smooth shell.
Wyandotte Eggs: Vary. but mine are medium size, light in color, more of a cream color, with a smooth shell.

Hard to give an opinion when photo's don't show things as they are, but  I'll ask anyway..
Wa'cha' think?

Added: All our chickens are mature hens except the welsummers, which should be starting to lay their first Pullet Eggs

Nesbits Avatar: Arnold Rimmer - the Hologram, and his friend Mr. Flibble
www.mrsnesbitsdiner.com/forum   Nesbits Forum

#2 01-06-2009 12:13:56

dilbert
He rules the roost, I rule the rooster
Website

Re: Look AT My Eggs On Page 2 - MY Welsummers Started Laying!

That one looks awfully big to be a pullet egg, but it sure is a different color than the other eggs.  I'm just glad somebody is laying again, because i sure missed fresh eggs.

-Colleen
Don't let my user name fool you - I'm a girl dilbert.  smile

#3 01-06-2009 12:29:38

BantyChickMom
Mod Squad

Too big for a pullet egg I think.

But if you really want to know, you could always check their butts to see who is swollen!   rotflol

#4 01-06-2009 12:50:19

Queen of the Lilliputians
Gone fishing
Website

Dil I hear ya!  My girls are finally picking it up (5 eggs yesterday.. although only 2 today.  Good thing Rabbit's laying lol).  I had a fresh egg on toast- my first since probably October.  OMG it was YUMMY!!!

I have to agree here- I think it's too big for a first egg.  And I've also never seen a first egg without blood streaks on it (although maybe that's just my girls).

I do know that after a break and a molt, the color when the girls start laying again will be darker (they just refreshed their paintbox wink ).  They aren't supposed to lay as many eggs total, but what they do lay will be larger.  Maybe that's what you are seeing?  shrug

Meghan

Former ruler-wielding nun at a catholic school

#5 01-06-2009 02:44:15

AKA Steve
Web Master
Website

Well, I haven't been able to get today's haul out yet and haven't had a Good look, but what I can see is six eggs,
five brown and one green.
That's one brown egg for every adult, plus Esther the Easter Egger.

It could be that the odd egg, from yesterday, is a double yolker from domineak, but it is very large for a domineak egg, and considerably different in color.

I'll have to see what today's look like, later today.

#6 01-06-2009 03:12:34

Korfus Kluckers
Silver Member
Website

I agree with being to big for a pullet. Dont Welsummers lay dark eggs? I know my Barnies do. They are really pretty in colour.

Raising Large Fowl Orpingtons, Blue, Black and White. Also in Bantams Black, White.

The truth needs so little rehearsal.  ~Barbara Kingsolver

#7 01-06-2009 05:15:51

AKA Steve
Web Master
Website

Yesterdays back left \ Todays back Right
http://www.chickencrossing.org/7eggswels.jpg

Yesterdays odd one: TOP
http://www.chickencrossing.org/7eggswels2.jpg
Bottom from right:
Easter Egger (for sure)
Wyandotte (No Doubt about it) - Winnie almost always lays those oddly shaped eggs that are rounded at both ends.
Dominique (Hazel's)
Australorp (probably)
Australorp (maybe)
Welsummer (has to be)

I think today's lower picture might actually show that the odd egg (at the top) is larger.
Yes, pullets (usually) lay smaller eggs, but chickens also lay weird eggs when they first get started, and for the first few eggs.
If the egg on the far left, in the lower picture, is anything but a welsummer egg, I will be extremely surprised;
It is about the same size as the adult hens eggs, larger then some, smaller then others, but it's just too different from anything my older girls have ever produced.

Also, there is some consistency between the large odd egg, and the dark egg from today, in that they both have a whitish swirly area at the top.

Shall I celebrate my first welsummer egg now? party yay party, or do you think I have jumped the gun here? hmm

#8 01-06-2009 06:24:44

johnnyjack
gone fishing
Website

id say so Steve.   but what do i know   doh     
either way its cool that ur getting eggs.  highfive

i like BCM'S  idea rotflol

BCM wrote:

But if you really want to know, you could always check their butts to see who is swollen!

#9 01-06-2009 06:36:26

AKA Steve
Web Master
Website

johnnyjack wrote:

i like BCM'S  idea rotflol

BCM wrote:

But if you really want to know, you could always check their butts to see who is swollen!

Our weather has changed and today we have winds blowing from all directions and constant rain, the girls are soaked and I have avoided going out there much.
I need to find a way to block all the rain, from all sides, to keep them dry and get rid of the mud; but it's kinda difficult when there's no break in the wind or rain.

But I'll check their butts at the earliest oppertunity shock

#10 01-06-2009 07:50:50

Korfus Kluckers
Silver Member
Website

I love it when a pullet starts laying......congrats!

Raising Large Fowl Orpingtons, Blue, Black and White. Also in Bantams Black, White.

The truth needs so little rehearsal.  ~Barbara Kingsolver

• Index
  •  » EGG to CHICK
  •  » Look AT My Eggs On Page 2 - MY Welsummers Started Laying!

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent