#1 12-18-2008 08:01:14

cherndon712
Grammy Award Member

Individual Breeding Pens? Pics?

I've gotten some ideas, now I would love to see pics of everyone's so I have a better idea!

Crystal 
~Silkies, Mille Fleur d'Uccles, Seramas, Buff Orps, and a crazy variety of other chickens!
~Bourbon Red and Pencilled Palm Turkeys
~BEI, Runners, Cayuga and Rouen Ducks, Toulose and Mixed Geese

#2 12-18-2008 12:02:03

robin416
Grammy Award Member

Re: Individual Breeding Pens? Pics?

What kind of ideas are you looking for? I think everyone of us that has seperate breeding pens has a different set up. It really depends on what works for you and for your birds.

Search out and buy Made in America

#3 12-18-2008 01:21:49

Queen of the Lilliputians
Gone fishing
Website

I don't as of yet have a matched pair of birds to breed, although I was lucky enough to visit a breeder last fall.

She actually had a few different things going on.  Inside her really beautiful old barn, she had a box stall lined on both sides with cages for her group.  They didn't seem very big to me (but then again, I free range my birds so I'm not a very good judge lol), but the birds were split into pairs, not trios, and they were all d'Anvers and very small.  Her husband was using the box stall next to it (I'm guessing.. 8x8) for his Barred Rocks (beautiful beautiful.. put my poor production girls to shame), and I noted that he had them all loose in there, although I'm not sure if they were all roos, or if he does seperate them out for breeding.  He had probably 8 or so in that group (definitely more than one boy).  He does breed to show, so I'm sure he has some other setup.

In addition, she had some of those cages-on-legs (they look like rabbit hutches to me shrug ) for 2 other pairs.

Outside the barn, she had these wonderful cages/runs.  Each pair or trio had maybe a 5x4x6' section, with a shelf in there.  On the shelf was an enclosed nesting box.  I can't remember exactly, but I think she kept the food on the shelf, also, which I'm sure gave the birds something to do other than mill around.  She also had individual runs, covered in tarps, probably about 4x5 again, but only 3 ft or so high.  I didn't look in these, because these groups were the ones she had just put together, and they were still getting used to each other and somewhat rowdy.  She did mention that all birds are put inside for the winter.

She also told me that she takes turns free-ranging each group, so everyone gets outside time (and she had several birds running around doing just that, including a super fluffy lap-dog-like bantam cochin, who was constantly underfoot lol!).  All birds were fit and healthy, and nobody appeared stressed out at all.  As a matter of fact, the pair I bought was from one of the smaller cages inside, and they were very happy, normal birds- Janey was from this group.  About the only negative thing I can say is that Janey still doesn't socialize very well with other chickens- the only chicken she REALLY bonded to was Rocky, the cockeral I brought home with her.  She's done ok since he died, but I've noticed she roosts apart from the other bantams- and we've had her now for over a year.

Not sure if that helps or not.. I know Chickn breeds her girls, and just built a beautiful new barn.  Her pics are on this site somewhere.  I have to go out and get ds, but I'll see if I can find it when I get back.

Meghan

Former ruler-wielding nun at a catholic school

#4 12-18-2008 01:42:50

robin416
Grammy Award Member

When you have time look in the topic for pics of coops.

Part of the reason your girl hasn't assimilated in to the group is probably because of the way she was raised. I just rehome a girl that had never been outside until she came to live with me. It took her six months to finally go outside on her own. There is one other girl I have that came from the same type of environment just recently, she will not go out unless I put her out.

I have 4X4 pens for all of my birds, they are all in a building built specifically for the birds. I have a pen where the young grow out. I don't show so the roos stay with the hens. I seperate out the sexes once they become mature enough to breed. All of my birds have exterior pens attached to their interior pens.

#5 12-18-2008 01:56:47

BantyChickMom
Mod Squad

I'm not sure what you're looking for but here is my setup.
I have mine separated by breed, then I have hens together, and I have a mixed/odd ball banty pen.

This is 12' X 48', some are divided in 6 X 8 pens, others are 8 X 12 pens.
The first pic is the 12' side

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd37/BantyChickMom/chicken%20coop/coops001.jpg

The first 3 sections have chickens on both sides

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd37/BantyChickMom/chicken%20coop/coops002.jpg

The last 3 sections are full 8 X 12 pens

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd37/BantyChickMom/chicken%20coop/coops003.jpg

As I said, I'm not sure what you're looking for, but hope this gives you some ideas!  smile

#6 12-18-2008 02:11:04

chickn
Double Platinum
Website

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f351/lilmissLauraLeigh/breederpens026.jpg inside view
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f351/lilmissLauraLeigh/breederpens035.jpg inside door to head out
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f351/lilmissLauraLeigh/100_0359.jpg outside pens, there are 4 on one side and 3 on the other. also i have 8 cages on top that dont have outside runs that i use for brooders and for hens with chicks.

frizzled polish and polish, sizzles and silkies, std cochins, mille d'uccles,
always interested in trading eggs

#7 12-18-2008 02:28:12

cherndon712
Grammy Award Member

Chickn, how much inside space do they have? I brood in my house, so thats not an issue. I have a barn that's 12X30. If I made inside "rooms" with doors leading out, how many "rooms would I have room for? I'd be concerned having it all open as I live in WY, and the weather here gets below zero a lot in the winter, and about 100 in the summer!

BantyMom, how many bantys can you have in the smaller pens? And the larger ones? How do you provide shelter when it's cold?

Last edited by cherndon712 (12-18-2008 02:35:44)

Crystal 
~Silkies, Mille Fleur d'Uccles, Seramas, Buff Orps, and a crazy variety of other chickens!

#8 12-18-2008 02:51:07

robin416
Grammy Award Member

OK, my Silkie coop is 12X almost 40 ft. Or is it almost 50ft, dang I need to go out and count again. It has 11 pens that are pretty close to 4X4. I left about 8 feet open for the feed and laundry tub that is in the coop. There is a 3ft aisle where there are pens on both sides. The most Silkies I'm comfortable with having in a pen is 4 unless there is a bunch of chicks in there to.

I would only have a pair of LF in any of those pens.

#9 12-18-2008 09:25:29

cherndon712
Grammy Award Member

Ok, so if I do a 6X6 pen outside and a 4X4 pen inside, is it okay to have a trio of standards? Or maybe 4?

Crystal 

#10 12-19-2008 07:47:07

robin416
Grammy Award Member

The breed will also figure in to the mix but if the outside pen is covered to allow for wet weather I think it could work. The best plan is to have options open if something goes wrong. Basically pens not in use so if you have to move someone you can.

I wouldn't no four in that space unless they can go out every day.

Birds that are in too little space start having behavioral problems. Picking at other birds to the point of causing bleeding is probably the one that is most common. When it happens in a situation like that its usually because of boredom from not having enough living space.

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent