#1 05-20-2008 10:41:27

mustangsaguaro
Silver Member
Website

Broody RIR????

Ok guys. How many of you have RIR's that go broody on you? I was under the impression the RIR's don't tend to go broody. Well, I think I have one. If she is in fact broody looks like I'm going to have to get more eggs. Anyways, the last few days she has been sitting where she normally lays her eggs. I lock her in at night w/ the others but then in the morning she goes right back to her spot and just sits there all day. She's making what I call the broody noises. Plus I checked her underside and she has pulled all her feathers out from undereath. So, what I have described do you think this RIR is broody?

Thanks
Kim

Breeder of Lavender/Lavender split Ameraucana's, as well as Silkies in black, white or paint. Black and white silkies come from paint eggs so not pure black or white. Bantam Phoenix in golden or silver duckwing.

#2 05-20-2008 01:12:43

B&C Ranch
Grammy Award Member

Re: Broody RIR????

She might be.  My silver laced cochin Lacey Bear has gone broody twice now - her first time she would sit all day and growl and puff up like a really mad beach ball but at night would sleep with the others she did this for about 3 days until she finally sat and stayed there - this time she went broody and stayed right away she is now sitting on 10 blue orp eggs.

try giving your girl a few golf balls to sit on for a few days and see if she will sit and stay before you give her eggs to sit just incase she changes her mind

julie

#3 05-20-2008 03:21:27

Queen of the Lilliputians
Gone fishing
Website

Wow- I hope your girl is broody.. that'll give me hope for mine.  Not a one has gone broody (RIR, NHR, BR.. and then there are the bantam girls).  A few looked like they thought about it.. for 15min or so.  Got pecked and growled at, but that was the extent of it.

Good luck with your girl!! 

Meghan

Former ruler-wielding nun at a catholic school

#4 05-20-2008 06:22:15

mustangsaguaro
Silver Member
Website

Queen of the Lilliputians wrote:

Wow- I hope your girl is broody.. that'll give me hope for mine.  Not a one has gone broody (RIR, NHR, BR.. and then there are the bantam girls).  A few looked like they thought about it.. for 15min or so.  Got pecked and growled at, but that was the extent of it.

Good luck with your girl!! 

Meghan

Hey Meghan-

Not to make you jealous or anything but I have a total of 7 hens 4 Old English, 1 RIR, 1 BR, and not sure what the other one is. But if the RIR is in fact broody every single one has gone broody on me since Feb. w/ the exception on the BR. I don't think BR's tend to go broody. I've used every single one to set on eggs w/ the exception of one. Hoping the RIR is truly broody as I plan on getting some more Ameraucana eggs.

Kim

Breeder of Lavender/Lavender split Ameraucana's, as well as Silkies in black, white or paint. Black and white silkies come from paint eggs so not pure black or white. Bantam Phoenix in golden or silver duckwing.

#5 10-03-2014 02:31:28

angel10

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent