#1 05-15-2008 10:02:49

thndrdancr
Double Platinum

Air cell on wrong end!

I have some turkey eggs in the bator, candled them last nite at day 14/15.  Anyhow, one has the aircell on the wrong end. 

Now I am wondering what is best to do for this egg as hatch time approaches.  Should I set it up slightly with the air cell end up as we get near to hatch, so it can position to pip the air cell?   Maybe check on it when the others hatch? whats the best thing to do to possibly have it hatch succesfully?

I had this happen with a chicken egg, and the little chick developed all the way, but was positioned toward the normal end of the egg.  I felt so sad, he just suffocated in there, and had I known more, I could have possibly prevented it.

Any advice from more experienced hatchers would be appreciated. 
Thanks much

Jill

Jill~Chicken mom to six chicken children!

#2 05-16-2008 03:37:23

jab91864
Gold Member

Re: Air cell on wrong end!

My advice, which may or may not be any good..... would be leave the egg on it's side and just roll it to turn it. 

I would check the egg continuously around the due date listen for peeping or pecking in the shell.

If it is working the wrong end of the shell (the end opposite the air cell) try to intervene immediately atleast giving it an airway. 

Often times if they move and are positioned at the narrow end of the egg they don't have enough room to move to zip....so in the even the chick moves to the end with the air cell at the narrow end....again be prepared to help.

I've lost some that were on the wrong end either because of the air cell or placement and as we all know anytime we lose a chick it depresses us.

Best of luck.

Julie

** I need Barred Rocks, Chanteclers, Dark Brahmas, Wyandottes.........

#3 05-16-2008 01:52:19

Queen of the Lilliputians
Gone fishing
Website

Geez Jill.. I just don't know.  I don't think the prognosis is good.

I guess I'm with Julie on this one- be prepared to help.

Good luck little egg!!

Meghan

Former ruler-wielding nun at a catholic school

#4 05-16-2008 02:46:47

PurpleChicken
Gold Member

I like Jab's idea. 

We have had them hatch like that but we usually have to assist.

Assume now that you will lose those eggs but still try.  If you save any than
you exceeded expectations and can feel good about it.

Dang eggs.  sad

May A Chicken Smile Upon You

#5 05-16-2008 04:00:01

thndrdancr
Double Platinum

Thanks all

Thats just what I will do, be prepared to assist, and like Mom always said, expect the worst, hope for the best and take what comes.  At least this time I will be prepared for it, I have it marked.

Now, my second question is...how can I tell when the darned thing pips into the air cell.  sheesh.  I am horrid at candling, all I see are blobs and air cells.  lol  I have never seen em move an probably cannot tell when the little guy does it.  eeeks.

Jill~Chicken mom to six chicken children!

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent