#1 05-12-2008 10:12:26

copperchick

Silver Laced Wyandotte about 19 weeks old bad leg or broke?

I have a Silver Laced Wyandotte about 19 weeks old. One day I went to check up on them and one was missing. 2 days later I found the poor girl behind the wood pile. Apparently she has a broken leg I canít feel any brake. It has been now 1 Ĺ weeks she now just starting to get up on one leg now.   Still her left leg is limp. The other chickens are picking at her. And some time she sit there and makes a hissing sound whatís that about? So what can I do? HELP Ken

#2 05-12-2008 11:11:22

Hencackle
Mod Squad

Re: Silver Laced Wyandotte about 19 weeks old bad leg or broke?

First of all, your injured pullet needs to be separated from the others.  Is her hurt leg swollen or discolored?

I would suggest finding a vet that is willing to x-ray her leg and set the fracture.  One of my SLWs broke her leg when she was about 3 months old.  A vet placed a plaster cast on the leg, which she had to wear for about 5 weeks. 

If this isn't possible, you can check this wildlife rehabbers list to find somebody close to you that might be able to help.  Some people have used popsicle sticks, gauze pads and gauze wrap to set broken legs.

You can mix an aspirin solution for your pullet to drink (treats the pain and swelling):
     the ratio is five 5-grain aspirin tablets in 1 gallon of water

Last edited by Hencackle (05-12-2008 11:31:51)

I've got a FOWL mouth!
cool Song  = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WVNN_DJe0

#3 05-12-2008 06:00:37

copperchick

Thanks for the reply its not swollen but the petella joint feels boney then the left. And the leg is cocked inword. i tryed to a splint but no way she will let me.

#4 05-12-2008 06:55:07

Hencackle
Mod Squad

Can you get her to a vet?  If her leg is too tender to touch, she will have to have an anesthetic to work on her leg.

I've got a FOWL mouth!

#5 05-18-2008 04:02:25

copperchick

Hi itís been a week now she doing much better .I keeps her in the garage for a week in a big 5x5 box that i made. She wants to go with her other friends so I did. But they all are starting to pick on her what should I do now?

#6 05-18-2008 09:33:06

Hencackle
Mod Squad

Sometimes when a bird is injured or separated from the flock awhile, the others will pick on on her.  It happened to my SLW.  A gradual transition to living with the flock should help.  Let the others see your SLW, but have a barrier up so that your injured hen won't be pecked.  If you have a dog crate and a section of poultry wire, you can make a temporary place for your pullet inside your coop/pen.

Is she putting weight on her leg now?

I've got a FOWL mouth!

#7 05-18-2008 10:35:40

copperchick

Thanks she doing better with the others today .she likes to perch alot. I guess it keeps her out of trouble.  she still hops around.she stans on her elbow now.

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent