#1 04-27-2008 05:36:44

Wildchicken
Gold Member

Teaching chickens to roost?

Do you need to teach chickens to roost? Mine are 10 weeks old. They put themselves in the coop at dusk but noone uses the roosts. They seem to have a favorite corner that they pile in. I don't think they are cold because its 90 during the day and 70 something during the night. Just wanted to know if this is normal or should I be doing something to help. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Treat each day as your last. One day you will be right. chickie3

#2 04-27-2008 05:55:46

Buster
Gold Member

Re: Teaching chickens to roost?

I'm not sure what the answer to this is because I haven't raised chicks before, but the black orp roo I have that is 10 or so weeks old doesn't roost either, so I am guessing that maybe they just don't yet at this age.

Hiatt Acres Poultry
No Farms No Food
If it's not a Heeler, it's just a dog

#3 04-30-2008 06:14:06

Knightschicks
Website

Some breeds are more prone to get up as high as they can  and others, particularly Silkies don't always go to roost.  I put in a 2x4 on it's side propped by boards going the opposite direction.  Sort or like a cross on both ends.  I place them up on the board for a few nights and usually they will get the idea and continue to step up.  From there you can raise the level.  If there are one that naturally roost most others will follow.  Sometimes a little ladder is necessary.

Jaynie,  NE Alabama
visit me at www.knightschicks.com

#4 04-30-2008 06:21:52

Wildchicken
Gold Member

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking they are still a little young. Dh is going to build a lower roost. So we will see what happens. Thanks again.
chickie3

Treat each day as your last. One day you will be right. chickie3

#5 05-01-2008 04:21:33

Rachy
Gold Member

My 7 week old RIR chicks (Some, not all) will roost. Mostly more so during the day for little naps and such. But they mainly still pile up in the corner (the highest point in the coop) by the front door and now that's were they're getting snagged.

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent