#1 04-16-2013 05:09:14

frogys

Rooster with infected eye

Our rooster's eye is swollen shut  My husband brought him in the house sunday night.  Upon inspection we noticed he had lice so we sprayed his body (not his head) with Manna Pro Poultry Protector.  Last night we saw a clearish white pus draining out of his eye.  He is eating and crowing like normal.   I do not see any scratches or injuries to the eye area.  We can only handle him at night.  What can we do?

#2 04-16-2013 05:57:26

robin416
Grammy Award Member

Re: Rooster with infected eye

It took me a while to find what I was looking for but I did. The Poultry Protector will not kill the bugs. The active ingredient is a reproductive inhibitor. And needs reapplication frequently. Lice are like bed bugs, very hard to eradicate. You will have to use a different product.

First, you can not see scratches on the eye without special dyes and equipment.

His eye needs to be opened, if crusted shut use saline compresses to soften the crust. Next you need antibiotic eye ointment that you can get at most feed stores. Pry the eye open, apply a line of the ointment to the eye. Do this a couple times a day. Be very careful not to touch his eye with the dispenser.

Search out and buy Made in America

#3 04-16-2013 09:46:57

Hencackle
Mod Squad

Just wanted to ask if you have more than 1 rooster?  I've had a rooster get pecked by another one on the head, in an area covered by feathers, causing the whole eye area to swell.

I've got a FOWL mouth!
cool Song  = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WVNN_DJe0

Spread the Love...Gentle Art of Blessing = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obH3wByg … re=related

#4 04-16-2013 12:38:51

frogys

Just 1 grown rooster.  I also have one that is only about 12 weeks and he is in a seperare area with his 4 hens to be.

#5 04-16-2013 12:47:34

frogys

robin416 wrote:

It took me a while to find what I was looking for but I did. The Poultry Protector will not kill the bugs. The active ingredient is a reproductive inhibitor. And needs reapplication frequently. Lice are like bed bugs, very hard to eradicate. You will have to use a different product.

First, you can not see scratches on the eye without special dyes and equipment.

His eye needs to be opened, if crusted shut use saline compresses to soften the crust. Next you need antibiotic eye ointment that you can get at most feed stores. Pry the eye open, apply a line of the ointment to the eye. Do this a couple times a day. Be very careful not to touch his eye with the dispenser.

Is there an good way to handle a not so friendly rooster during daylight hours?

#6 04-16-2013 01:08:39

robin416
Grammy Award Member

Put him in a papoose. Once you have his wings confined he can't do much. When I was treating a guinea with an infected eye, I would wrap her in a towel put her in my lap on her back. In that position the towel wasn't needed and she settled enough for me to treat her eye and do her injection.

#7 04-16-2013 02:30:10

TheRanch
Silver Member

I think that you are the one that has AG rooster like mine.  If he is confined then grab him with the towel and do like robin says, and wrap him in the towel until he settles down, i keep the towel on my big girls the whole time because they spur me anyway they can.  Plus, If you can cover most of his face with the towel and just uncover the eye he "might" be more calm.  Good luck and hope he gets better. 

ps.   If not confined I have found a fishing net and then a towel are great at getting the job down, quickly and painlessly for them and me.  smile

#8 04-17-2013 03:08:24

frogys

Robin,  I have called 2 local feed stores. No oniment. TSC has an antibiotic gel in a 2 oz bottle. Is that ok?  OR can I use antibiotic eye oniment for humans?

#9 04-17-2013 04:36:30

robin416
Grammy Award Member

Tell me what that ointment for humans says. Can't say yes or no until I know that.

No, that gel is not for use in the eye. Never ever use anything that is not recommend specifically for use in the eyes.

If you have a good relationship with your vet you might be able to get it that way, I know mine will sell it to me when I need it. Quit messing around with this, if that eye is infected he will go blind and the infection can spread from there.

#10 04-17-2013 05:32:53

frogys

I didn't have any for humans, i was just asking because it would be easier to get. I'll call the vet in the AM!  Thanks

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent